New Blanket

Yes, summer has finally arrived here and I have a new blanket! I needed it earlier when it was rather chilly (and they turned the heat off in the building) so I started on this one. It took me about 5 and a half weeks. I had some trouble with my hand and was delayed somewhat.

This is made entirely of yarns from my stash. I found (by accident, when I opened a box) all of these coned yarns. They are very fine: about 2/16 and 2/24 in wool and some were a wool blend. I used to use these when I was weaving and now that I don't have room to put up a loom, I decided to use them up in knitting. I used about 5 to 7 strands of yarn together to knit this. i think I used a 4 mm needle (need to check my notes) and it was worked in the round. I had about 80-inch cable at the end.

There was no plan as to placement of colours. It was all designed on the go, digging out more yarn as I needed it, and looking back on it, I think I could have placed them differently. However, it all seems to have worked out quite well. Because I used various shades together (in oatmeal, browns, rust, grey, black and orange), there is a connection with all the final shades produced so that holds it together.

I like the idea of a hem on these things, so I worked a folded hem, and grafted it down on the back side. It is tedious work, and got boring too, but I enjoyed the grafting. That took me about 2 days. The final size is about 100x150 cm (or 40x60 inches in American). It could have been just a bit lager, but I got really tired of working on it, and wanted it done already! I have used it on my bed a couple of times, but is now set aside until it gets cold again! It does add that extra layer of warmth, when needed.

I am now planning a scarf worked in the same technique, but it is still only worked in my head. Maybe in time for winter!! (which will be here in a very short time)

Image icon blanket.jpg89.2 KB
Image icon grafting hem.jpg98.86 KB


ronhuber's picture

The blanket is beautiful and the hem is such a great idea.

Joe-in Wyoming's picture

Very nice looking blanket. I've used that form of grafting on sweater necklines but never for other projects. I'll have to keep it in mind for future use.

Books, knitting, cats, fountain pens...Life is Good.

JRob's picture

Very nice indeed.

Kerry's picture

Nice Blanket and I like how the colours worked out.

CLABBERS's picture

I like the colors a lot, very autumnal. It looks nice and comfy.

ronhuber's picture

How did you decrease for the hem?

Tallguy's picture

The body of the blanket was increased either side of the corner stitch every alternate round -- standard method.
For the hem, I decreased either side of corner stitch every alternate round.
As I worked, I thought the hem was wide enough (and I was tired of it), so I knit the turning row and did the back side of the hem. But when laid out flat, I realized that the hem was very piddly proportion-wise to the blanket itself. It should have been much wider. It is double-thick as well, so I also think I should have used only 4-5 strands rather than the 7 I used. In retrospect, I would have done it differently. It's alright and serviceable as it is. Next time!!

kiwiknitter's picture

Lovely colours and pattern design. I, too, have used the hem grafting on jumper necks and I think it gives a very fine finished look (as on your blanket). Thanks for sharing!

Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on.  ~Billy Connolly