I just finished this pair of socks for my mother. I like the way they turned out using the Evil Genius method again. The yarn is a superwash Merino/nylon blend that softens up quite nicely when washed and blocked. Mom's toes have a mind of their own and didn't grow especially straight, with two on each foot crossing over another. She never has to cross her fingers for luck, her toes have done that for her. She also has a very large big toe bone (cuneiform bone for those of you who enjoy anatomy) also known and a bunion. So to accommodate that, I made the sock two sizes larger in that area, and because she likes her socks a bit lose, I just kept to that size. I have two plastic blocking templates for socks, so I chose the larger of the two to help the stretching effect stay. It will shrink back down a bit as it is washed and dried, but I think it will be comfortable to wear. She also likes her socks a bit lose in the leg, so the larger blocking form will help in that area as well.
This was my first attempt at fitting a sock to a foot as I knit it. I kept visiting her and having her try things on. I did a lot of ripping back, but thankfully, just in the toe area.