Well, actually there are 3 steeks + 5 tubes in this jumper. As many of you know, I’m up-skilling my knitting and I’ve been researching steeks. I finally found enough information to give me the courage to give them a go. I am delighted to report that I was successful. I’ll report my journey with this project for those who are interested in trying steeks and hope I’m not preaching to the choir as I imagine many MWK members already use this method.
My inspiration for this jersey came from a British pattern for a WWI serviceman jersey (see attachment 1). I tried to remain faithful to the original design but needed to make some changes. First and foremost, the pattern was written for a slender 19 year old lad just out of boot camp and I’ve not looked like that (if I ever did) for a long time now. The pattern calls for flat, pieced knitting but I did this jumper in the round and seamless. Other than looking at the original photograph, I did not follow the pattern. Rather, I calculated my size by using the E Zimmermann method found in “The Sweater Workshop” by Jackie Fee. I didn’t plan on the drop sleeves (yuch!) and I’m going to try to eliminate that style on my next jersey.
I just finished this seamless jumper this morning. It's made from the E. Zimmermann formula as found in "The Sweater Workshop" but I chose the pattern and "designed" the collar myself. The colour is a beautiful aquamarine and tweed which may or may not show well on your screen. The wool is 8 ply and I used a 4 mm needle. I was very gratified to discover at the end of it all that my gauge and the measurements were spot-on. I did a simple "horizontal dash" pattern which I thought went well with the colour. I wanted to do something different with the collar; I thought that it should somehow be horizontal rather than vertical. I made the boat neck and then knitted a few rows of garter stitch. Then, I finished it off with a 2 stitch I-cord. I'd never done that before and if you've not yet tried binding-off with an I-cord, do give it a go as the finished result is absolutely stunning. It took me 3 weeks to knit this which proves that circular knitting is so much faster than flat work.
I used a vintage 60s pattern for sizing and shaping of this "boat-neck" sweater, but added the ribbing and tri-color from a contemporary French pattern. It fits perfectly and is a Plymouth Encore wool blend. My only regret is not having used a "better" wool yarn for the project. Hope you like it.
Here is my newly finished jumper using "The Sweater Workshop" method. It originally called for the twisted double braid only up the front but I decided to add the cable to the arms and then to do the yoke in 1x1 ribbing. I decided to do a roll collar on it to compliment the yoke. It is done 99% in the round and seamless. It was fun to be creative with the pattern and to do what I wanted instead of slavishly following a commercial pattern. It fits me perfectly and I'm happy to have made it up myself. The colour is a rust-brown, very 1970's but a great colour on me and not easily found.
Basketweave pattern, worsted weight yarn, size 10 circular needles
OK - it's not the most intricate or impressive of jumpers so why am I so chuffed about it? Well, simply put, it's my emancipation proclamation. I have finally taken control of my knitting and feel like I've entered a new phase of the craft.
I've always wanted to knit in-the-round seamless jumpers but frankly I could never quite figure out Elizabeth Zimmermann's formula. You need to understand that anything that has to do with ciphers, calculations, percentages, maths and spacial reckoning makes my eyes glaze over; I get so bewildered that I begin to wonder if Alzheimer's Disease has set-in. Then, luckily for me, Warren told me about the book "The Sweater Workshop" by Jacqueline Fee. A visit to Amazon.com and the book was mine. I couldn't believe how clearly she teaches the EZ method (with permission).
I just finished sewing up this jumper today and I wanted to share it with MWK friends. This is a Paton's pattern, knitted with Aussie wool Cleckheaton "Country" 8 ply. The stitch pattern is a basket weave; the colour is a lovely sage green. It took me 3 months from start to finish. I found the stitch pattern tedious because of the constant changing from knit to purl stitches. This also posed a challenge regarding gauge.
I enjoyed this project because I tried some new techniques. First, I mucked around with the pattern in order to make it more fitting to me and not just conforming to the directions. During the last 3 months I've lost over 2 stone and that gave me some challenges. I am pleased with the fit and now that I've tasted freedom from a pattern, I want more!
Here is my latest project just hot off the circulars. Now all I need is somewhere to wear it!!! Hopefully it will be cool enough to wear to church next Sunday. Some of the old dears know I knit so they will be impresssed, I hope. The pattern for the body was originally "wedged" shaped but as I no longer have a "school boy" figure I modified it to suit a more fuller waist!
my ladies wth their new additions to their wardrobes...from Tim Wagoner Orignals....TWO:)