When I went home and Christmas my sister told me that she and her partner are going to be mommies in March. I'm thrilled to finally become an uncle. So I came home and started to knit. I made these booties using three plies of recycled lace-weight cashmere that I bought on ebay. I used size 2 double points and a pattern I found online called "Christine's Baby Booties." The color is a bright lilac. The picture looks too blue and too dark on my monitor. I also made a baby blanket in the same color using Mission Falls 1824 superwash. I used a cables and lace pattern that was fun to work.
I just had to show this off because I've been wanting to learn how to do this stitch for awhile now. Well tonight I finally made myself sit down and figure it out. This is the briotch stitch. I call it the bitch stitch because that's just what it was to learn... a bitch! lol..... I think the hardest thing for me to figure out was how to do the yarn over but once I figured that out I was knitting this stitch almost as fast as I can knit a 2x2 rib.
These are the finished felted clogs (men's size 9 u.s.) I am not a very experienced knitter and found these were relatively easy to make and taught me a lot about knitting in the round, picking up stitches, increasing and decreasing and sewing simple seams. Any inconsistencies or mistakes virtually disappear because they shrink so tightly in the washing machine during the felting process. They do take a long time to dry completely (several days). They are knit on circular needles with two strands together. They are very thick and durable and made with a double sole for extra padding and wear. Seude soles can be purchased separately and sewn on after if you want something even sturdier.
These are a pair of clogs I made "before" felting them. I wanted to show what they look like before and after. They are ridiculously large at this stage. I'm sure people must think I absolutely have missed out on what "Gauge" is when they see these!
These are scarves I just made to send to the Bundle Up New Orleans project. The brown one is a moebius scarf and is what I was working on when my tendonitis flared up. I had to finish it while wearing a clunky brace. It's a 100% polyester yarn that I really don't like, but it's easy care and should help keep someone warm. The green scarf is Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick, which is a little better. Made that one on the knitting loom and am working on a companion headband to send with it. It's so chunky that you can't tell it's ribbed - just looks like stockinet on both sides.
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I live near Boston, MA and have been knitting for almost a year. I'm very excited to have stumbled across this site. It's great (and humbling!) to see what everyone's working on.
I wanted to share two little projects I've just finished. First, a snake. It's from "Unusual Toys for You to Knit and Enjoy" by Jess Hutchinson. This is my first project on DPNs!
It took me the last 7 weeks to knit this jersey and I'm here to tell you that knitting it was nothing compared to trying to get a good photograph of it! The cable stitch presented lighting challanges that an amateur like me just couldn't overcome. So, I decided to attach another picture which is dark but shows the cable stitch well. This jersey was knitted in Naturally "Tussock", a NZ wool. I originally did it in gray last winter (see the second attachment and note that my friend model is 6'4" tall so the sleeves are too short for him) and thought that it would be great in red. This jersey weighs in at 3# and should provide lots of warmth (or at least weight) this winter. I do not like seams in a collar and try to avoid them so I knitted the collar in the round on 16"circulars. That was very difficult considering the short needles and the 3# hanging from them. I won't make that mistake again. I finished knitting the gray version last winter just in time for the warm spring weather so I only was able to wear it twice. I've since decided to knit my jerseys in the summer so I can actually wear them in the winter.
I have have the new theme working on IE/Mac. If it's working on the old Mac version, I can only assume the latest PC version would render it fine.
If you don't see the user login block, scroll down to the bottom of the page.
The user login block is now located on the right. It's size was apparently breaking the theme, but this isn't an issue on the right side. All the world loves a workaround!
I've looked at the site in IE/Mac, Safari, Firefox, Camino and the whitespace/left column dropping issue is gone.
I created this new thread to report any theme problems you're experiencing with the theme. Just leave a comment with what's going on and the browser and version you're using, as well as whether you're on xp, osx, linux, etc.