These are the finished felted clogs (men's size 9 u.s.) I am not a very experienced knitter and found these were relatively easy to make and taught me a lot about knitting in the round, picking up stitches, increasing and decreasing and sewing simple seams. Any inconsistencies or mistakes virtually disappear because they shrink so tightly in the washing machine during the felting process. They do take a long time to dry completely (several days). They are knit on circular needles with two strands together. They are very thick and durable and made with a double sole for extra padding and wear. Seude soles can be purchased separately and sewn on after if you want something even sturdier.
These are a pair of clogs I made "before" felting them. I wanted to show what they look like before and after. They are ridiculously large at this stage. I'm sure people must think I absolutely have missed out on what "Gauge" is when they see these!
These are scarves I just made to send to the Bundle Up New Orleans project. The brown one is a moebius scarf and is what I was working on when my tendonitis flared up. I had to finish it while wearing a clunky brace. It's a 100% polyester yarn that I really don't like, but it's easy care and should help keep someone warm. The green scarf is Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick, which is a little better. Made that one on the knitting loom and am working on a companion headband to send with it. It's so chunky that you can't tell it's ribbed - just looks like stockinet on both sides.
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I live near Boston, MA and have been knitting for almost a year. I'm very excited to have stumbled across this site. It's great (and humbling!) to see what everyone's working on.
I wanted to share two little projects I've just finished. First, a snake. It's from "Unusual Toys for You to Knit and Enjoy" by Jess Hutchinson. This is my first project on DPNs!
It took me the last 7 weeks to knit this jersey and I'm here to tell you that knitting it was nothing compared to trying to get a good photograph of it! The cable stitch presented lighting challanges that an amateur like me just couldn't overcome. So, I decided to attach another picture which is dark but shows the cable stitch well. This jersey was knitted in Naturally "Tussock", a NZ wool. I originally did it in gray last winter (see the second attachment and note that my friend model is 6'4" tall so the sleeves are too short for him) and thought that it would be great in red. This jersey weighs in at 3# and should provide lots of warmth (or at least weight) this winter. I do not like seams in a collar and try to avoid them so I knitted the collar in the round on 16"circulars. That was very difficult considering the short needles and the 3# hanging from them. I won't make that mistake again. I finished knitting the gray version last winter just in time for the warm spring weather so I only was able to wear it twice. I've since decided to knit my jerseys in the summer so I can actually wear them in the winter.
I have have the new theme working on IE/Mac. If it's working on the old Mac version, I can only assume the latest PC version would render it fine.
If you don't see the user login block, scroll down to the bottom of the page.
The user login block is now located on the right. It's size was apparently breaking the theme, but this isn't an issue on the right side. All the world loves a workaround!
I've looked at the site in IE/Mac, Safari, Firefox, Camino and the whitespace/left column dropping issue is gone.
I created this new thread to report any theme problems you're experiencing with the theme. Just leave a comment with what's going on and the browser and version you're using, as well as whether you're on xp, osx, linux, etc.
My hands & wrists continue to limp along (get it? limp-wristed?), so the other day I stopped by Michael's and bought a Knifty Knitter round loom set (all 4 sizes on sale for $10). Basic stuff, but I figured out how to knit & purl. The day my hands went verkacht, I had bought some Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick to make scarves for the Bundle Up New Orleans project. Since my hands weren't cooperating, I tried it on the knitting machine, but the yarn is just too bulky, even on every third needle. So the looms seemed to be the logical choice and are working okay, though I'm not trying to be fast, in order to spare my hands.
As you may have already noticed, the default site theme has changed. This was done both because of the comments based on the BlueMarine theme and in anticipation of an upcoming site upgrade and changes involving the way themes will be handled.
I and others like the user pictures apprearing in posts and comments as they do in BlueMarine. The new theme has those, a cleaner layout, and loads faster than previous themes.
The other themes will go away soon, but will remain available via your account preferences for a little while longer.
If you experience any issues with the new theme or miss something present in other themes, please let me know and I'll do my best to address those issues.