Well I felted my first pair of clogs last night.
There were a few tense moments in the process but overall I think they came out alright.
Given that I had a made a few mistakes in knitting the first clog I decided to felt them individually. That way I could shape the one I had knitted correctly to the size I wanted and then work on getting the second one to conform to size.
Clog one felted just fine but about half way through, when I pulled the piece out to check on its progress, I noticed that the heel stitches had come loose. There was a small hole on the back bumper between the two soles. I added a few extra stitches using a large and very sharp needle and then continued the felting process. The piece came out great but it had a much furrier exterior than I expected.
Then when I checked on the second clog midway through I had a moment of panic: the sole and bumper were now on the inside of the clog. I guess the agitation process had turned the entire piece inside out. Though the piece felted up fine the second clog got all of that extra furry finish on what was now the inside of the clog. I tried a few things to increase the furry factor on the right side of clog two but nothing really seemed to work -- so I decided I would just have to give both of them a good shaving.
And it turns out that I happened to have the perfect tool for the job - I just bought a new Vidal Sassoon personal groomer kit to get ready for the summer swim season. It's a cordless wet-dry groomer that has all sorts of attachments. I bought the groomer kit because it came with an extra long handle so I could trim my own back hair (yes my back has a certain resemblance to that furry clog). All of those attachments that I thought were so cool for my beard and that help groom those more personal areas turned out to work really well on clogs too!