Hmmm... I recently revived my interest in knitting after... oh, lets see... 25years and picked up a set of needles to make my boyf a 1940s style vest from a collection of free patterns on the Victoria & Albert Museum website. Here's the link in case yo don't know about it: http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fashion/features/knitting/1940s/index.html
My boyfs a theatre designer and interested in period clothing... so I thought this would be a nice surprise. It looks pretty straight forward, and I was a rather good knitter when I was in my teens, so I set off. Rib went fine, pattern went fine... had a mishap had to un-knit a few rows... then last night I finished the back! Yay!
Swapped needles for the front rib and...err... hold on... err... those needles sitting there are the ones I should have been using. Double check the pattern... yup! I'd carried on using the rib (smaller) needles through the entire back! It had crossed my mind that it was a tight knit and was taking a bit more yarn than expected... but that wasn't enough to impose on my thinking brain. Argh!!!
Had to unravel the back down to the rib and pick up the stitches and start over. So disheartened now, the knitting has become a chore and the pattern doesn't look anywhere near as neat on the larger needles. Anyway... just thought I'd share the frustrations on a London knitting guy.