This Saturday I started work on the shawl and it was a disaster from the start. I was so excited in starting the shawl I failed to pay attention to the pattern. After 5 or 6 restarts I finally made some progress. Mistake #1. I failed to work in the even numbered rows (duh). I did not do this just once, but 3 or 4 times before I realized. Mistake #2. The ends of the shawl is made with a garter stitch border 6 stitches wide. While working on the WS I forgot to include the garter at the last 6 stitches. I didn't notice this flub until I was 6 rows into the first lace pattern. I did not have the heart to rip it so I reworked the mess up by dropping the stitches and reworking them correctly.