Here is my first knitted garment for 2007. A knitting acquaintance of mine was clearing out her stash and gave me some knitting yarns just before the holidays. This particular yarn is made in New Zealand by Patons “Knit ‘n Save” Brushed DK – now, hold one for this – Courtelle! I can’t believe how beautiful it looks and feels. It was a breeze to knit up and was so like knitting with wool but I could feel a bit of a synthetic touch to it while knitting. The colour is a beautiful light ice-blue and it as soft as.
I was short 1 skein for a full jumper so this ended up a vest. I made up the pattern, seamless and circular, with steeks for the armhole and neck openings. I had to hold my breath a couple of times when doing the finishing bands as I was certain I’d miscalculated and it was not going to come out according to plan. But, luckily (and I do mean “luckily” as I’m math-handicapped) it all worked out fine. I had wanted a squarish collar and even that came out according to design, which amazed me no end. I read today Tom’s (gaynnyc) posting about knittingfool.com so now I’ll have more assistance with the maths (thank you, Tom!) for future projects.
Now, for you steek geeks, I did the collar and armholes differently. My goal was to learn how to do fit-in sleeves and not just drop sleeves which are just a slit cut up each side. First, I took off the initial stitches and put them onto a piece of waste yarn (I prefer to use live stitches whenever possible). Then, I began to do the reductions and, feeling braver, I made the steek only 3 stitches wide. I placed a purl stitch marker after the reduction on the right side and before the reduction on the left side. Then, after I’d finished with the reductions, I continued to place the purl stitch every other row or so. (see attachment) This provided me with a line which I could easily follow when I stitched up the area. The center line of knit stitches was perfect for the cutting line. Then, to accommodate my aging and failing eyesight, I went against conventional wisdom and sewed using a stark contrasting colour (pumpkin orange!) so I could see the line of stitches when I was knitting up the bands.
I've taken photos with 2 different cameras and I see that I just couldn't capture the beautiful colour; my apologies as usual.
Now, it’s off to cast-on for my holiday scarf using the wool from my Secret Santa!