Ashton Shawl

Tallguy's picture

Here's something I've been working on. I have been spinning a lot lately, having received from a friend one fleece that she didn't want, and part of another from a local spinner. I've been having a lot of fun pulling out locks and spinning a very fine worsted yarn. Not sure yet what I will do with it, but there is still time!

While spinning, I've been thinking about having a knitting project on the go too, just to take a break from the spinning. I found a nice lace shawl that seemed very simple to do, so started on it. I had a cone of a nice bright red, not sure where I got it, and there was no label on the inside. As I was knitting with it, I didn't like the feeling of it. It seemed rather hard and crisp -- it was very much like acrylic! It could be -- I used to buy all kinds of yarns, and perhaps I picked this up somewhere at a local sale and the fibre was not important to me at that time.

This is a pattern called "Ashton Shawlette" by Dee O'Keefe. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ashton-shawlette It is made of a couple simple lace patterns, in the double-down style, and easily adjustable. I increased the number of repeats to make it larger, and glad I did. It's a nice size now, otherwise would have been rather small. But a shawlette is a small shawl!

I am including some pics of it on my blocking wall in my Picasa album. https://picasaweb.google.com/tallguy403/Knitting#6022772724284224290 There is a steel beam in part of the wall, so I couldn't stick pins into it. I just used a double-point needle to span the gap! They act as miniature blocking wires, and worked perfectly for me. I also used some wooden skewers along the straight edge. You can see I didn't get the centre spine exactly perpendicular, but it looks okay in the end at any rate. I blocked it upside down, just to get the straight edge along the bottom and then worked up to the point. I have attached a pic of it pinned to the wall so you can it right-side up!

When I put the shawl into the water to wash before blocking, a lot of dye came out. So I knew it wasn't acrylic. I haven't done the burn test to determine fibre content. It blocked very nicely, so I am assuming there is a good amount of wool in it. It does have a very tight ply to it, so that is probably why it felt so hard while knitting. It softened nicely after washing, and has good elasticity in the yarn. I do have a good amount still left on the cone, and I did find another one as well, so you may get to see this yarn made into something else yet!

AttachmentSize
Ashton shawl2, June 2014.jpg63.52 KB

Comments

CLABBERS's picture

Very delicate...beautiful

Very delicate...beautiful workmanship.

Joe-in Wyoming's picture

Quite nice.

Quite nice.

ronhuber's picture

Lovely work.

Lovely work.

TheKnittingMill's picture

It's very beautiful! I love

It's very beautiful! I love the color!