Here's a picture of my latest. I've been making versions of this sock, on and off, for the past three years. For the past 6 or 7 months, it's been mainly "on". I couldn't really tell you how many times I've knit this sock. But I'm feeling that this time may really be The One that I've been looking for.
The pattern for this sock is Ann Norling's Adult Basic Sock. The leg part is single-knit on size 6 needles in worsted weight. 40 stitches. From the heel-flap on it's double-knit on size 3 needles in DK weight. 48 stitches. I change colors every stitch so that both sides of the fabric will be fully interknit with each other. This creates a strong, long-wearing, and stretchy sock fabric. The heel flap of this sock is knit flat, *slip 1, knit 1* across the row on the knit side, and slip 1 and purl to the end of the row on the other side. So every other row you're slipping every other stitch. All that slippage adds up and you end up with a fabric that is quite different from standard stockinette. This is doubly true when you double-knit it. For this latest version I've used the heel-flap pattern for the entire sole of the sock. My guess is that it will feel smoother underfoot than any sock I've knit yet. I will soon find out.
I have tried it on, of course, and it feels OK so far but the real test will be walking around in it. I CAN tell you that the bottom (sole) of the sock seems to have very little stretch while the top (instep) has boatloads. I'm looking forward with great anticipation to seeing what this will feel like on my foot inside of my shoe.
I'm also including a picture of an early attempt from a few years ago. You can see how far I've come...
UPDATE: Well I finished it a couple of hours ago and have been wearing it ever since. It's too small. The reason that it's too small is that the bottom part of the sock with all the slipped stitches not only doesn't stretch, it actually constricts the sock. When the sock is on my hoof, the top part of the sock is stretched to the limit and it feels tight. I'm wearing the previous version (same exact everything except for the slipped stitches) on the other foot and it's not stretched at all. It fits perfectly and comfortably.
So I'm going to try this again and add 8 stitches: 4 to the bottom and 4 to the top. We'll see how that goes...
|latest 11.9.13.jpg||428.3 KB|
|early attempt.jpg||438.93 KB|