Several months ago, in mid-winter, I knit Stephen West's "Boneyard". I had spun some wool on my drop spindle which was very softly spun. Normally, I like a yarn that is quite firm and has good definition. But I've been working lately with spinning much softer yarn with less twist. It is not easy! I wanted just enough twist to hold the fibres together, and just only. This meant that my spindle kept dropping quite often because I didn't have enough twist. And that was alright too -- I knew that I was just on this side of that crucial amount of twist, so just needed to add a bit more.
I had to make some adjustments to Stephen's design, of course. I cannot
ever just leave it alone! I started according to directions, but as I knit, I
wanted more curve to my scarf, and did it so. That did work quite well, but I
still wanted a bit more curve to the long side arms. And I also wanted to do
something with the colour. Here is the scarf as I did it.
This spring, I again spun up a couple of skeins of very softly spun yarns, and kept looking at this scarf, thinking I need to do it again, but better this time -- with more planned changes. I thought that the ridges could be more prominent, probably in another colour. I thought of black and perhaps red? That would work well together. I only had some black, so that is what I used.
This time, I started out in the first row to introduce the increases much
faster, creating the curved arms. I felt it would fit better for me so that
it would be wider and not as deep. This yarn was a bit thicker than the
previous one I used, and perhaps the needles were as well. At any rate, the
second one is larger than the first one, which is okay too. I will wear this
with a coat that has a deep V-neck opening, leaving my throat open and this
would fill in that spot nicely.
The depth of the centre spine is 43 cm -- I'm not sure what that is in American, but it reaches from under my chin to my belly button. That should work just perfectly!
(Boneyard June 2013)
This is a pic of it drying on my "blocking wall". I took it to the office, and pinned it to the cubicle divider which is a fabric-covered styrofoam wall into which I can stick pins. It works very well!
Looking at it now, I am visualizing another one, with perhaps just half a row of red! I dunno -- I just want to push the design a tiny bit more!
|Boneyard June 2013.jpg||1.19 MB|