I started a hat. And I got bored with it. And I decided I wasn't going to make it the way I originally thought, and for the person I originally intended. But I figured I *had* to finish it, and since I was more or less making up my own pattern (gulp!), I had no idea it would be so hard to decrease a ribbed hat. This was my first project knitting in the round, and I used both circular needles and double-pointed needles.
Sigh. The picture at left shows me switching from circular needles to dpn. Another whoops, since I had been knitting on circular needles smaller than the size 8 dpns I bought for this project. I don't know why I didn't start the project on my size 8 circular needles, but ... bygones, right? (For some reason, it never occurred to me to make sure the needles were the same size before I started the project. I just grabbed the set on top of my knitting bag and set to work.)
So I ran out to JoAnn to pick up some dpns that will be the right size. Except I didn't own a knit gauge, and I couldn't remembered whether my circular needle was a 5 or a 6. I picked up dpns in both 5 AND 6 and also grabbed a knit gauge and managed to get out of the store just before closing.
As you can see in the picture to the right (click for full image), the gauge wasn't TOO far off -- but I had a heckuva time with the decreasing. You see I gave up trying to make the ribs work and just did the last 16 rows or so in stockinette.
But finish it I did, and unless you know what you're looking for, you'd probably be hard-pressed to figure out anything's actually wrong with it. And even though I was designing this as a gift for someone else and that plan won't work anymore, it's not a bad little hat. I could definitely see myself wearing this on a cool, crisp autumn day in Seattle.