Kathleen's Majesty

RickMartin's picture

Mmario designed this shawl from a picture of of “The Courtyard of the Maidens” Alcázares Reales de Sevilla, and named it for my wife.

I knit it using aqua colored Zephyr (50/50 wool/silk) starting on a US 3 needle and working my way up to a US 8. It took approximately 1,200 yards and 840 5/0 seed beads.

I edited the pattern as Mmario's designs tend to be a little too large for my wife to wear. I quit knitting at row 138 (there are a total of 181 rows in the pattern). The blocked size is 62" in diameter (which is the same as my wife's height). I also used an I-cord bind off - my wife loves the look of that so I did it even though it takes FOREVER!

DSCN1067.jpg74.79 KB
DSCN1068.jpg86.69 KB
DSCN1070.jpg92.43 KB
DSCN1069.jpg86.3 KB


TomH's picture

Stunning. Congrats!

Stunning. Congrats!

WOW - I'm speechless. What a

WOW - I'm speechless. What a fabulous design.

MMario's picture

I am blessed to have a

I am blessed to have a multitude of muses who all seem to have a knack of inspiring me with designs that **WORK**. This one is a triple treat - because Rick sent me the photo which inspired the design; he knit the prototype with his usual superb craftsmanship AND gave the backstory of this lovely gift to his wife.

MMario - I'm not divorced from reality - we're having a trial separation

MMario's picture

WOW! Okay to use your photo

WOW! Okay to use your photo on the pattern? (with the notes....)

RickMartin's picture

For sure. Rick

For sure.

Kerry's picture

Beautiful shawl Rick, a

Beautiful shawl Rick, a testament to your knitting and Mario's design.

Bill's picture

It's beautiful Rick! ...and

It's beautiful Rick!
...and well worth all the effort!

Joe-in Wyoming's picture

Great design and knitting.

Great design and knitting. I also took the edging to be crochetted but now realize it is indeed a very tiny I-cord worked in loops that attach to the finished circle. A labor of love, indeed! Congratulations. -- Books, knitting, cats, fountain pens...Life is Good.

RickMartin's picture

A crocheted bind off would

A crocheted bind off would have been much quicker, but the reason I didn't do that is because it would have been too light weight unless I doubled the yarn (and since the yarn was on a cone I was too lazy to wind some off and blah, blah, blah).

RickMartin's picture

I received a comment from

I received a comment from someone asking these questions, so I'll post his questions and my answers here:

"Just a few questions about your most recent posting.
Needle size changes? I don't quite understand. From the picture the gauge does not seem to vary.
The picture. You say you did an I cord bind off but the pictures show a crochet (or perhaps it could be knitted) edging. Definitely not an I cord bind off."

Actually the needle size does vary. At about every 10 or so rows I increased a needle size. By doing this gradually and blocking you cannot easily tell that the guage does in fact vary. It gets more lacey as it progresses to the outter edges.

It is an I-cord bind off. The way it is done is you (depending on the pattern) knit one stitch through several live stitches. On this pattern I knit through two stitches twice to start the I-cord. So there are 2 stitches on the left-hand needle. You slide them back to the right needle and knit through them (in this case repeating that 8 times) which forms the I-cord. Then I knit through the next three live stitches causing there to be 3 stitches on the right-hand needle. I pass the middle stitch through the left-most stitch (on the right needle) and then move the 2 remaining stitches back to the left needle and knit those 2 stitches again (repeating 8 times). And this repeats all around the shawl.