I have finally finished my most ambitious project to date. It's Norah Gaughan's Cabled Bolero from the Winter 2006/2007 issue of Vogue Knitting and I made it for my very dear friend Joanne. It's made up of 11 individually made pentagons, each joined in by picking up stitches along 1 or more sides of a previous pentagon. The sleeves are variations of the pentagon pattern, and the collar is knit separately and sewn on at the end. I made it using Lana Grossa Bingo (100% Merino) on size 7 (US) needles.
It was an interesting project - in a good way. As I got farther along, it seemed a little awkward in spots. At some point, Joanne and I realized that it would fit her better upside down (i.e. with the "neckline" toward the waist and "waistline" toward the neck.) The first picture shows it on her as specified in the pattern, and it seems to draw a bit tightly across the lower back. The second picture shows it turned over. Fortunately, we discovered this before attaching the collar. But flipping it left a couple of pentagons looking odd at the lower front (right and left sides). Well, one of the beauties of this pattern is its modular nature. It was no big deal to pull out the offending pentagons and re-do them as 2/5 of a pentagon. (Each pentagon is made by knitting 5 triangles side-by-side, so I just re-knit 2 of the 5 triangles and got the shape I wanted.)
I don't have pics yet of Jo modeling it after I attached the collar, but I couldn't wait any longer to post. According to my ravelry notebook, I've been working on this since freakin' JANUARY!!! Anyway, it's done. And I survived.
|Joannes Cabled Bolero Back (1).jpg||37.44 KB|
|Joannes Cabled Bolero Back (2).jpg||33.48 KB|
|Joannes Cabled Bolero Front (1).jpg||29.59 KB|
|Joannes Cabled Bolero-After Blocking (1).jpg||45.15 KB|
|Joannes Cabled Bolero-After Blocking (2).jpg||65.68 KB|
|Joannes Cabled Bolero-Front with Collar.jpg||34.96 KB|
|Joannes Cabled Bolero-Front Detail.jpg||56.73 KB|
|Joannes Cabled Bolero-Back.jpg||49.88 KB|