Started: 01st September 2007
Finished: ca. 50 g (+/- 5 g) spun and plied, 30th September 2007
Yardage: ca. 155 m (169.5 yrds)
Fibre: Wolle Roedel "Filzwolle", Colour: red-rust, 100% wool
Spindle: Ashford Classic Drop-Spindle (low-whorl)
No, this is not the edible kind. ;-)
This one went through quite a bit of beating. It has many knots where the yarn broke while plying or when I was winding up the plied yarn....this is the price for spinning a single so thin.
I spun up two batches of 25 g and wound each into two separate balls on paper rolls, ready to be plied. I really don't like plying from two different balls....especially the fact that my singles are so energised in spite of having been wound into a ball for a couple of weeks already (well, at least the first 25 g).
The yarn from the two balls kept twisting around each other as soon as it was pulled out of the balls (and yes, I kept the balls in separate bowls).
I don't really think that I can spin up the 50 g single on the spindle and then do Andean plying. Even if all the single fits onto the spindle, I think that it'll kill my hand when I make the bracelet. Not to mention the fact that I would have to ply it in one go. (Plying this batch up took me two sittings of about 3 hours each...of course, I was spending a lot of time playing kitty, too.)
Oh well, I'll figure something out.
I still over-spin quite a bit while plying...at least that's the impression I have. Although I like the look of the snug twist around the ply.
If I can get another 155 m out of the next 50 g, then I might be able to knit a Swallowtail Shawl from this. Wouldn't that be just cool?
Have a great start to the week!
Current Mood: Okay
Yay! Knitters Uncensored episode #07 is out!!! As always, it's full of nonsense! ;-p
Go download and listen!
Yay! Knitters Uncensored episode #06 is out!!! Go download and listen!
So, I've finished one side of the anklets that I knit from one of my own hand-dyed. And as you all have expressed the wish to see it knit up, I just can't resist....
...so, here it is:
Started: 30th July 2007
Finished: Half-way on 09th August 2007
Yarn: Regia 4-ply, Hand-dyed by me (75% superwash virgin wool, 25% polyamid; 50 g / 210 m)
Needle: 2.5 mm/100 cm Lang Needles (comparable to Addi Turbos)
Pattern: Universal Toe-up Sock using Magic Cast-On
The colours in the yarn itself vary so greatly...this is even more so pronounced when the sock is knit up. From the right and the left side of the same sock, the colours are just totally different!
The colours are as close as I can get in such bad lighting environment we have today (rain and rain and overcast and grey)...it was with my mad touch-up skillz(TM) that I can get this result. (@ ISO 400, hence the graininess).
Anyway, y'all have a great weekend!
Yay! Knitters Uncensored episode #05 is out!!! Go download and listen!
Your iTunes might not have downloaded this episode automatically, depending on which version of episode #04 you download. In order to fix this, you have to delete episode #04 from your iTunes, then unsubscribe from the feed and then re-subscribe to it. That should fix everything. ;-)
So, here goes my first attempt at dyeing.
After brooding over and gathering information...I decided last night that it's now or never. Or like Bockstark Knits had said to me about the podcast: "Just do it!"
(more to read after the break...click below)
Re-Started: 17th June 2007
Finished: 30th June 2007
Yarn: Rohrspatz & Wollmeise superwash sockyarn, colourway "Iris Sibirica"
Needle: 2.5 mm/ US #1 Addi Turbos circs
Pattern: JayWalker by Grumperina on MagKnits