After a little trial and little more error, I was able to get some decent soles on my clogs.
I used rug backing with about 1/2 a bottle of black paint mixed in, and made the templates from heavy duty cardboard - the sort used for book binding. This stuff is a pain in the (wherever) to cut, so i changed my original Dr. Martins type design for one with minimal turns and curves. I cut it with a dremel, and managed to keep all appendages.
Finished the 1st pair.
Not a stellar success, one turned out lopsided and I grabbed the wrong needles to knit up its brother... and did not notice till I was doing the final bind off.
Fortunately, these little mistakes are hidden in the final product. I just let one felt longer than the other and it's all the same. Or at least close enough for me.
It seems like there have been a lot of anti-purl sentiments made recently, so I thought these might be helpful:
The move from indy to dallas has changed my "cool guy shag" into something closer to a "homeless guy fro."
I could get a haircut, but i think it is just the excuse i need to make more hats.
I just made the "Manly Slip-Stitched Hat" from the book Just Hats.
I used 2 strands of wool ease instead of kool wool (it is what I had around)
I think it turned out pretty well. I am very pleased with the rows of V's and _'s.