Archive - Jan 2007 - Forum topic

Date
Type

Knit-Out 2007 & Crochet

On February 17 and 18 at the Mall of America in Minneapolis, MN there will be a monstrous knitting and crochet extravaganza. Lessons, Fashion shows, doggie sweaters, yarn "Doctors" and Vicki Howell from Knitty Gritty and Lily Chin--the worlds fastest crocheter. See the MOA website for more.
http://www.mallofamerica.com/about_moa_event_detail_objectname_knit_out.aspx

the2ndline's picture

Help???

I'm having trouble with my first sweater... here it is:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kyle/kyle.html

and here is where i'm stuck... or just confused:

Finishing:
Right Placket and Collar: With smaller needles, cast on 14 sts.

Row 1 (RS): Sl 1, (p1, k1) 6 times, p1.

Row 2: * K1, p1, rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 4” from beg, end on WS. Mark end of last row for beg of collar.

Inc Row (RS): Work to last st, M1p, k1 – 15 sts. Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge EVERY row 15 times more, working incs into ribbing – 30 sts. Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge every RS row 13 times – 43 sts. Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge every other RS row 5 times – 48 sts. Work even in ribbing as established until collar, when slightly stretched, measures 9(9 1/2-10-10 1/2-11)” above marker, end on WS. Mark beg and end of last row. Work even for 4 rows.

Note: Short rows are worked to give shaping to the collar. When working these rows you will work part way across a row, turn, sl 1, then work back to the beginning.

Short Rows: Row 1 (RS): Work 42 sts in ribbing, turn, sl 1, then work to end. Work 4 rows even.

Row 2 (RS): Work 38 sts in ribbing, turn, sl 1, then work to end. Work 4 rows even. Continue in this manner to alternate short rows and even rows, working 4 less sts each short row until short side of collar measures 5 1/2” above markers, end on WS. Sl 48 sts onto holder. Mark placement of 2 buttons on placket, one 1” up from cast-on edge and the other just below beg of collar.

January 30th

New Yarn

Hey All!

So, I just bought this delicious baby camel yarn. I really would like to make a pair of mittens out of it but I'm having trouble finding a pattern ... I would say that it's about a sport/DK weight ... Does anyone have any suggestions?

January 29th

Socks from knitting with balls

I have been working a pattern from Michael del Vecchio's "Knitting With Balls" and have come up against a roadblock. The pattern is for Hiking Boot Socks, found on pages 66-69. I have gotten to the heel turn, yes I know that it is the most difficult part of a sock, but the stitch instructions do not add up. The stitches that are to be knit together do not fall on the gaps, the marker is not in the proper place to be slipped when told to do so... I brought the instructions in to my local
yarn/knitting store but we were still unable to perform the stitches called for in the pattern.

This is what it says to do...

Row1: K9 sl marker K2tog K1 turn
Row2: P2 sl marker P2tog P1 turn
Row3: K2 sl marker K2tog (knitting one stitch from either side of the gap together)
Row4: P4 sl marker P2tog (purling one stitch from either side of the gap) P1 turn
Repeat rows 3 and 4, continuing to K2tog or P2tog one stitch from either side of the gap and working one more stitch then turning the work, until 1 st remains beyond the gap on either side. Work the final rows as follows:
Row1: Knit to 1 before gap and K2tog turn.
Row2: Purl to 1 before gap and P2tog (8 sts rem)

Like I said, the gaps do not line up. The pattern says knit 2 stitches together one from either side of the gap, but the gap is 1 or 2 stitches away. Or it say to slip P4 and sl marker, but you just slipped the marker 2 stitches earlier before and turned so it's only 2 stitches away. Does anyone have any idea what i might be doing wrong?

Gabriel's picture

Hello Gents...

I'm thinking about knitting a dog sweater for a charity auction here in Tulsa. Its for the Pet Assistance Welfare Society and my LYS is donating a gift certificate with it if I do. Do you guys know of a good resource for patterns? I thought I would even check online..but don't know where to look! Just thought I would put it out there!

January 26th

First time in the round

I want to crank out a simple V-day hat for my sweetie but I have never knit in the round before. I'm still new to knitting but I enjoy it and would like to learn how to work in the round.

Am I setting myself up for disappointment by trying to learn and have something done in 2.5 weeks? Or should I give it a go? DPNs or circulars and the magic loop method?

January 21st

Stephen450's picture

Continental Purl

I just got back from a group class at my LYS where I learned that I'm wrapping my purl stitch the wrong direction! I also found out that I'm supposed to hold both needles with thumb and forefinger. That's making my continental purl seem all new and foreign to me. Anybody have any suggestions that might help me be a better purler?

jrrenola's picture

Quick Gauge Question

Now that I'm using the long tail CO, things are going much better. I've bought 2 different colored skeins for the same brand/weight yarn and was knitting a swatch to check my gauge. When I opened my book, it described how to count stitches/rows in stockinette, but not in garter...which I've been doing. Does it matter which pattern I use for a gauge check? My end product (with the yarn) is a garter-stitch scarf for my wife. Even though gauge for a scarf isn't needed, I figured I'd give it a whirl. Any ideas how to count rows/stitches in garter?

Thanks!!!
John

January 20th

Patches...

Hi there,

My mum is making a blanket with patches. She is doing 19 stitches across each time. Would it be easier to do a different number and how can I make it equal when I am doing it. I've just started myself and her patches are not exactly same size by width and length but I would like mine to be more square type when I am doing them. :) Thanks...

January 18th

jrrenola's picture

Casting On Troubles

I'm very new to knitting and am still having my fair share of issues. I have a hard time casting on and then knitting the first row. Mainly, I think it's a function of the "death grip" that people have talked about in other forums. But, I'm also wondering if there's better ways to cast on or different ones for different situations. I'm especially having trouble getting the right needle into those first cast on stitches.

The casting-on that I've used involved tying a slip-knot onto the left needle, then inserting the right needle through it (like knitting), wrapping the yarn around the right needle (like knitting), and then pulling the loop through and slipping back onto the left needle. My issue with that is knowing which way the loop should go onto the left.

Another cast-on involved the same slip-knot, but then kind of looping the yarn stitch-by-stitch with the left hand while loading it onto the needle. This is the CO I have the greatest problem with... I may be making the stitches too tight again...

Any thoughts?