Archive - 2006 - Forum topic

September 2nd

Stitch and Bitch UK Knitting Message Board and London Knitting Group Mailing List

PEOPLE OF THE KNIT UNITE!

Stitch and Bitch UK is a UK-based group for UK-based knitters to share advice, tips, and knitting horror stories and triumphs.

Our myspace message board:

http://groups.myspace.com/stitchandbitchUK

We are also proud founders of STITCH AND BITCH LONDON. A group who meet in London pubs and cafes, knit and have a good laugh.

All knitters are welcome to join us and spread the word of the knit.

Meetings are for knitters of any age and any stage. Learners: Bring yarn and needles. We can teach anyone! Masters: Bring your stitch advice.

Join our mailing list (for newsletters and meeting info): stitchandb.london@googlemail.com

August 31st

ronhuber's picture

Lace patter in garter stitch

I am going to start a Faroese shawl and wonder if anyone knows of a site that has simple lace patterns in garter stitch.  Or do you have a pattern you could share with me.   Thanks

Verbal abuse

I just looked in the chat room & was verbally abused by one of our members, this is not the kind of thing that I expect from our group.

August 29th

Moebiusm Scarf

Hey guys. I am interested in making a moebius scarf. I pattern says to mpebius cast on. How the heck do you do that. By the way, the pattern came from the Menknit mag. It is a pattern by Witt Pratt. It looks nice but I have no idea how to cast on for this. The info I've found on the net makes it sound confusing.

August 28th

Changing colors

By all accounts, I'm rather new at knitting.  When I was a senior in college I threw out my back and couldn't move for a week.  My roommate at the time was knitting and I asked her to show me.  That fall I made a couple one color scarves for my niece.

Now I want to make one for myself but need a lot of help.  I want to do a checkered pattern alternating purl and knit stitch with orange yarn and navy yarn.  eg: the scarf if 28 stitches wide, I'd want 14 purl orange, then 14 knit navy for 10 rows to make a squre of orange and a square of navy. Then I'd change the color to alternate.

August 26th

DC/ glover park neighbors?

HI! I'm wondering if there are any DC'ers in the Glover Park neighborhood who'd be inerested in kniting get-togethers? I love when I can make it to Men's night on wednesdays over in Logan-circle but thought I'd ask if anyone was interested in hangin out in this neck of the woods ever? (...or am I the only cool person in this neighborhood?)

Micah

August 23rd

East Coast Blue Squares

As an Englsihman in New York & legal alien I had offered to coordinate things things this side of the Atlantic! It's been the summer, we've all been busy.

East coast guys feel free te send me your blue squares. Private Message me for e-mail address & I'll take it from there.

Is the middle of America being coordinated?

midpath's picture

Learn To Knit Afghan Book, by Barbara Walker

Learn To Knit Afghan is an excellent book to learn how to knit with. You learn various techniques by knitting 63 afghan squares. Barbara Walker takes you through knit and purl, mosaic, slip-stitch, twist-stitch patterns, cables, increase/decrease, and lace techniques. I am not a brand new knitter, but there are things in the book that I am anxious to try. And squares are less intimidating and require less time. I work on them in between projects when I want a quick fix. Smile I am currently working on square 10, Diagonal Chain, which is a mosaic pattern. Fun and easy way to do color knitting.

August 22nd

Warren's picture

Mohair driving me to nutso land! Help?!

Hey guys, I sometimes forget that I'm not all alone and you all have VERY GOOD suggestions.  I thought I'd see what you all had to say before I made a trip to my LYS.

I am knitting trying to make an orangutan for one of my nephews.  It's done on US #3's, and a DK-weight mohair yarn.  I already altered the pattern instructions slightly to be able to knit in the round on DPNs.  It's just plain and simple stockinette stitch.  I've already ripped out 60 rows I had done back & forth because I was dropping so many stitches and creating YO's on the purl rows.  Doing it in the round has been a bit better, but I've dropped stitches again and I'm really not having any fun and it's not calming to me as knitting usually is.  I keep splitting the yarn, can't see it, etc.  ARGH!

August 20th

knit in space?

I'm working on Fetching, from the latest Knitty, and it gives me this set of directions for the thumb:
"[...] there will be 7 sts below the opening and 6 sts above. Attach yarn and k the 7 sts on lower needle; using a second needle, pick up and k 2 sts in space between upper and lower needle, k first 3 sts from upper needle; using a third needle, k remaining 3 sts from upper needle and pick up and k 2 sts in space between this needle and lower needle. [...] "
Can anyone make sense of that "knit in space business"? It has halted my forward momentum.