Archive - 2006 - Forum topic

October 11th

ronhuber's picture

Fair Isle

Finished a fair isle vest. The pattern is a combination of Debbie Bliss and my own design. I find fair isle such a satisfying endeavour

October 5th

Okay, so am I CRAZY???

Hello All,

I just registered to the site because I think I'm going crazy ...

I've decided that I am going to "challenge" myself with the Moebius Design. So on that note, I went to my LYS and was talking with the amazing staff ... I bought Cat's first book A treasury of magical knitting, some cheap practice yarn and a LONG circular needle ...

Well ... It's about time to sit down and do some serious figuring out ...

Does anyone have any advice??? I'm thinking a mix of crazy drugs, but I would rather not really go crazy ...

October 2nd

To knot or not to knot

Hi,
I'm currently working on a four panelled throw,(when finished will be 160cm/63" square) which has a stockinette main section with 6cm/2.5" garter stitch borders.
Although it's not really reversible, I don't want to see knots on the back whenever I join in another ball of yarn.

How do others 'join' yarn together seamlessly?
The pattern is from the book simple knits for everyday living by erika knight page 80.
I'll post a photo after I've completed each section.

Rory.

Picot Bind Off & Counting

I'm working on a project that calls for a Picot bind off and have an elementary question regarding counting. The Picot bind off directions are:

Bind off 5 stitches, [slip st on right needle back to left needle; CO 1 st using Cable Cast On method, BO 6 sts] ...

My elementary question is this, as I begin to bind off I knit the first stitch, knit the second stitch and then pass the 1st stitch over the 2nd stitch. How many stitches did I just bind off, 1 or 2?

The pattern is a 4x1 rib so I'm assuming that the answer to my question is 2 so that the Picot ends up on the Purl stitch in the rib pattern. Otherwise the Picot ends up 1 stitch past the Purl which just doesn't seem right.

I figure it would be good to know this basic answer since it'll come in handy when making necklines.

Thanks...Keith
(feeling very stupid since I've been knitting for a few years).

September 29th

MMario's picture

flipping a cable

Stupid question of the week - you have a pattern for a cable - but want to work the garment the other verticle direction; do you just work the chart top down ?

September 24th

Elad Fox's picture

Dog fur hat

My sister spun up some of my dog Caleb's fur and I just finished knitting a hat out of some of it. Here it is.

Tallguy's picture

Modular Knitting on Knitty Gritty

Just letting you guys know that there will be an episode on the DIY Network (Knitty Gritty) with Iris Schreier, author of Modular Knits, demonstrating how to go in all directions to make continuous geometric shapes in knitting on September 25 (times vary). More info: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_43409,00.html

September 22nd

Darrel's picture

Let's get down to the real Knitty Gritty

Hey guys,

One of our new users, sedelman, happens to be a producer on Knitty Gritty which airs on the DIY Network.

They're seeking to improve their representation of the knitting community by featuring some guys on their show! If you're interested, I encourage you to get an touch with her.

Below is a message from her including her contact information:

Hey You Hunky Knitters!

DIY's top-rated show, "Knitty Gritty" is looking for fun gentlemen to come into the studio with us and have a blast shooting their very own episode!

We will be taping December 1st through the 12th but we will only be booking for two more weeks.

You don't need to be a fabulous knitter, we just want America to see that MEN DO KNIT and they're good at it, damnit!

Give Sonya a call at 818.781.5600 ex 105 to discuss specifics!

Come on down guys! Help spread the word that ALL KINDS of people knit, not just little old grannies!

Contact sedelman@sdetv.com to discuss specifics.

Sewing Rib Edge to Rib Edge

I'm finishing up a project that calls for me to sew a separate 1x1 rib piece to another piece that was started in a 1x1 rib. So I basically need to sew a 1x1 rib edge to another 1x1 rib edge.

I am in essence adding 2 shoulder straps to make a high-waisted (basically sitting at the top of the chest) "overalls". The garment is for a baby so I want to use the smoothest finishing technique. I've never sewn a rib to a rib. I searched the web and read some of my technique books but can't find any explanations on the best way to sew the pieces together.

Any help and/or links to illustration how tos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Keith

September 20th

Darrel's picture

Site Upgrade

Greetings everyone!

Most of the site has been upgraded. I'm aware of some issues, but I encourage y'all to use the site normally and report back any problems by replying to this post.

Thanks for being patient while I work the kinks out!