Archive - 2006 - Forum topic

July 26th

JPaul's picture

REAL MEN KNIT - the DVD

Well, actually the trailer for the DVD.

Check it out here: http://www.unconfinedmind.com/

It's all very exciting.  Some of our regulars, including Bill and Jeremy (Technocowboy), are featured in the trailer along with Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably.  I'm anxious to see if hmalbert's "antics" with a knitting needle made it through the editing process...two words: body piercing (he put it where?!)...it may have been too graphic for middle America, but I've got my fingers crossed.

It should be out at the end of August and will come with wool from Philosopher's Wool for knitting a cap.

July 25th

RainCityRick's picture

And Now A Word From Our Sponsor

Just for giggles and grins I thought I'd send a email to Fiber Trends - the creator of the Felted Clog pattern that we're working on.  Here's their response:

Hi Warren [note from Rick - did she think I was channeling another group member that we all know and love?]
Thanks for sending the info on your groups clog-along. I have just enjoyed a few minutes of browsing the website.

Can understand the over 50 eye problem having a couple of them myself. [note from Rick - I made a comment about the dark colored paper that the patterns are printed on]  I hope you will check out the new Fiber Trends pattern format being introduced this fall. Large full color cover with photo and expanded test area inside all in black and white!

July 22nd

victor's picture

Felting Clogs

Hi Guys,

As my pattern for clogs arrived last week am about to begin. However, in Australia the wool required is hard to come by, I think the climate is too warm for such a thick yarn but I managed to get a small amount from a reasonably large fabric & yarn store here in Newcastle. Just one small snag, it is labled 'machine washable'. Anyone have any thoughts on this?? Will it still felt or will the process take a little longer??  Thanks guys.

VillageKnittiot's picture

A great site for beginning knitters

I stumbled over a nice little site for the 'New to knitting' crowd.  (there's also free patterns to entice the others).  Its a niftly little site that has little videos (FOR FREE).  I must've watched a dozen of them this morning.  Vicki Howell she's not, but she did manage to demystify Magic Loop knitting for me, as well as those pesky Kitchener and mattress stitching.  Check it out.  http://www.knittinghelp.com/     Best to you all.

July 19th

DC area knitting

Spur of the moment I am going to head to DC friday morning to visit my brother who is also an avid knitter and just moved back there after being gone a few years.  I was hoping anyone here could point out good yarn shops in that area or event/gathering going on.  the plan at this point is to simply Sit, Sip, Knit, repeat. in that order of course.  any pointers would help! thanks.

July 17th

Knit-a-Palooza

My LYS in Virginia Beach is hosting Knit-a-palooza next spring.  The is event consists of a couple days of knitting workshops on different topics.  The information can be found at http://www.eweknitkits.com/  Would love to not be the only guy there.

Luke 

July 15th

Felted Knit Bowls - Patterns?

Looking for patterns for felted bowls.

Help?

ProfDave

July 13th

Aaronknits's picture

Weekend of knitting (and yoga) with Karen Allen

I got my fall program catalog for the Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health and lo and behold, the next weekend program with Karen Allen is in November. 

http://www.kripalu.org/program/type2/all/YOK062

Looks like it should be a fun experience.  A weekend, or even a day at Kripalu always is regardless of what program you choose to do.  I'm not sure I'll be able to go to this yet, although I would REALLY like to.  But I wanted to put the info out for everyone else too.

Enjoy!

Aaron

July 12th

ronhuber's picture

Elizabeth Zimmermann's Tomten Jacket

For most of the year I live in Mexico.  I do, however, have a place in Canada and that is where my copy of "Knitting Workshop" by EZ is and I am not.  Here in Mexico I have the pattern for the Tomten in both "Knitting Without Tears" and "Opinionated Knitter" .  They give directions for the jacket but only for one size.  In Workshop she gives directions for making the jacket in any size as long as it is a multiple of 8.  The only thing I can't remember is how many stitches do I increase at the centre back of the hood.  If you have a co

Jeff1201PA's picture

Correcting twisted purl stitches

OK.  I'm getting much better at this knitting thing and I'm getting pickier about leaving mistakes behind.  This being the case, I've gotten pretty good at knitting backwards (or TINKing, as I've heard it called).  Unfortunately, the stitches occasionally get twisted in doing so.

I've learned that I can fix a twisted knit stitch by knitting into the back of the stitch, but when a purl stitch is twisted, the only thing I know to do to fix it is to slip the stitch and slip it back untwisted.  This is fine when there's only a few stitches, but is a real pain when there's a whole row of twisted stitches to fix.  Is there a similar technique to fix a twisted purl stitch in one fell swoop?