Archive - Jul 2006 - Forum topic

MMario's picture

astericks

I mayt be missing something very obvious - but when I look at "recent posts" some of the titles have red astericks next to them - and I can't see any sort of pattern for it. what do the astericks mean?

July 30th

Chat Room

So that we poor souls over in Europe don't have to get up at 0300 to join in the chat room, some of us will be there at 1900 BST/2000 CET every Sunday starting on the 6th August.  Any guys wanting to chat - see you there! ;)

Simon

July 28th

Dish Cloth patterns

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some interesting dishcloth patterns. I normally create my own... But  I am interested to see what other patterns are out there.

So if you have some great patterns lets see them...

Thanks 

MMario's picture

Blogs vs forum topics....

I've noticed the past few weeks that most postings to this site seem to be in the blog form; which is nice in that it can include photos; but I marvel that the forums are so under-utilized. I guess I just prefer the forum format. The blog forms seem so dis-jointed to me; and they are definately harder to follow for any sort of "conversation"

July 27th

Coned Yarn

good morning fellas!  I found a sweet deal on organic colorgrown cotton on 12 oz. cones (845) yards but was a little bit leary of ordering it without some input.  I am sure there are some great rescources out there for buying coned yarn but it is a laungage I don't speak.  it is 2/2 which the seller says is a worsted weight.  WEBS has a sweet deal on some tweedy wool colors (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1300-1308-1317/0/15/1311/) and it sells for 12$per pound for 992 yrds per pound. 4-4.5 stitches per inch.  I have never bought yarn this way so i don't know anything about washing it to remove the oils, drying it, or if this is just a bad idea but you could whip up a sweater for cheap with it!  if anybody has a good resource for buying yarn this way, or has bought it and wants to shed some insight on the washing process, by all means, please throw some help this way! thanks!

July 26th

JPaul's picture

REAL MEN KNIT - the DVD

Well, actually the trailer for the DVD.

Check it out here: http://www.unconfinedmind.com/

It's all very exciting.  Some of our regulars, including Bill and Jeremy (Technocowboy), are featured in the trailer along with Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably.  I'm anxious to see if hmalbert's "antics" with a knitting needle made it through the editing process...two words: body piercing (he put it where?!)...it may have been too graphic for middle America, but I've got my fingers crossed.

It should be out at the end of August and will come with wool from Philosopher's Wool for knitting a cap.

July 25th

RainCityRick's picture

And Now A Word From Our Sponsor

Just for giggles and grins I thought I'd send a email to Fiber Trends - the creator of the Felted Clog pattern that we're working on.  Here's their response:

Hi Warren [note from Rick - did she think I was channeling another group member that we all know and love?]
Thanks for sending the info on your groups clog-along. I have just enjoyed a few minutes of browsing the website.

Can understand the over 50 eye problem having a couple of them myself. [note from Rick - I made a comment about the dark colored paper that the patterns are printed on]  I hope you will check out the new Fiber Trends pattern format being introduced this fall. Large full color cover with photo and expanded test area inside all in black and white!

July 22nd

victor's picture

Felting Clogs

Hi Guys,

As my pattern for clogs arrived last week am about to begin. However, in Australia the wool required is hard to come by, I think the climate is too warm for such a thick yarn but I managed to get a small amount from a reasonably large fabric & yarn store here in Newcastle. Just one small snag, it is labled 'machine washable'. Anyone have any thoughts on this?? Will it still felt or will the process take a little longer??  Thanks guys.

VillageKnittiot's picture

A great site for beginning knitters

I stumbled over a nice little site for the 'New to knitting' crowd.  (there's also free patterns to entice the others).  Its a niftly little site that has little videos (FOR FREE).  I must've watched a dozen of them this morning.  Vicki Howell she's not, but she did manage to demystify Magic Loop knitting for me, as well as those pesky Kitchener and mattress stitching.  Check it out.  http://www.knittinghelp.com/     Best to you all.

July 19th

DC area knitting

Spur of the moment I am going to head to DC friday morning to visit my brother who is also an avid knitter and just moved back there after being gone a few years.  I was hoping anyone here could point out good yarn shops in that area or event/gathering going on.  the plan at this point is to simply Sit, Sip, Knit, repeat. in that order of course.  any pointers would help! thanks.