Archive - Jun 2006 - Forum topic

Date
Type

June 11th

Yarn substitution

I'm considering making a vest (waistcoat) from a "vintage" (30s? 40s?) English pattern which calls for 11 oz. of worsted-weight yarn.  I prefer working with finer yarn and needles and have no problem with modifying the pattern to suit my smaller gauge, but I'm not sure how much wool to buy.  Can I substitute 11 oz. (300 g.) of fingering-weight yarn for 11 oz. of worsted and have about the right amount?  I know I'm not likely to find if for 7 d. per ounce as mentioned in the pattern, so I'd like to have some idea of how much to buy.

June 9th

atravelingknitter's picture

Help!!!

Help Please!  I am trying to find a simple beret pattern done in finger wieght yarn. having no luck I made one and it looks like a homeless person I will be that homeless person!! on the street, so if you see me say hi and nice hat. please if any one has a good pattern the beret is for a friend going through chemo. ( now you can see why I wouldn't give him the homeless hat, although I have no pride, he does) Thanks

June 6th

Loose stitch problem

Ok guys... I've got a problem that, frankly, I don't know what to do to fix. Whenever I go from a knit stitch to a purl stitch, that knit stitch always seems to be loose and misshapen and there tends to be a gap between the two. Now, the gap isn't a huge issue for me because the "rib" (so to speak) generally hides that. But the loose knit stitches are the bane of my knitting at the moment. I've tried tightening them 10 ways from Sunday and I still can't get them even. I don't know if it's something weird like the angle I purl at, but it's always when I go from knits to purls. Here's a picture. Any ideas?

June 2nd

Nicky Epstein @ The Point

Hi Guys,

Well I had a lot of fun learning from Nicky Epstien @ The Point, NYC this evening. She showed us several ways to make knitted flowers from her current book. Yeah, I was the only guy there! Hey ho I'm used to that. She inspired me to use some of her techniques in my knitting.