Archive - Dec 2006 - Forum topic

Date
Type

December 30th

Aaronknits's picture

Never Knit Your Man A Sweater...

(unless you've got the ring first)

I picked this book up this morning at Border's. Though not necessarily geared towards the male knitter, the projects are certainly created with the male recipient in mind. What appealed to me most (aside from being a book full of stuff for us guys) is that the prerequisite knitting instructions which seem to take up the first 25% of most books is absent. This one apparently assumes you've got all that stuff down already and jumps right into the patterns. There is a very brief section at the end explaining some of the special techniques used in some of the patterns throughout the book.

The patterns are presented in stages apparently to correspond with the stages of a new relationship with appropriate introductory paragraphs. There are some really great looking simple and quick items as well as more challenging and time consuming projects. The last of which are some really great looking vests and sweaters.

This book also has another great laptop cover pattern. (I saw a few of these while browsing books this morning) So now I need to decide which one to make for the hubby. I really like the one in Knitting With Balls, but it's

dvl2sum's picture

please help

Is anyone familiar with Entralac-ing? I found this pattern in Vogue Knitting, which is probably way beyond my abilities, and I'm having a hard deciphering what it's telling me to do once I get to a certain point in the patern.

December 29th

MasonM's picture

Oh Good Grief! How Did I Do this?

I am a little puzzled. I've been knitting on this scarf. I cast on 14 stitches. I've been knitting along and noticed that the scarf has gotten wider.

I started with 14 stitches and now I somehow have 22. How did I manage to do this?

Geez, and I thought I was doing so much better. This stuff is harder than I thought, or I am dumber than I thought.

MasonM's picture

Too Tight On The Needle

I am working on my first project. It's just a simple garter stitch scarf using super bulky yarn and US size 17 needles.

Whether on this project or on my practice piece (medium worsted on US size 10 needles), the loops on the needle get tight and it's hard to slide the piece along the needle or to work the right needle into the loop to make the next knit stitch..

What am I doing wrong here?

December 27th

MasonM's picture

Sore Hands?

Has anyone else had a problem with cramping and/or general soreness in their hands when first starting out? I know I have a touch of arthritis, but not serious. After knitting for a while I have to stop and take a break as my hands hurt like crazy. Am I doing something wrong or does it just take a while to get the muscles used to the new activity?

On an unrelated side note, I wish I had discovered knitting last year when I was laid up from a car wreck. I was down for 14 months from a fractured pelvis and knitting sure would have been a great way to pass the time. Kicking myself for not having thought of it then. I blame the narcotics.

MasonM's picture

Female Hostility?

Ok, is it just me or are the women on other knitting related sites a bit hostile towards male knitters?

Do they feel that we are somehow encroaching on their turf? What gives?

December 25th

MasonM's picture

How To Get Started?

Ok, I know next to nothing about knitting but wish to learn. How do I get started? Good books? Supplies? Just wing it and see what happens?

boyforpele13's picture

the manly history of knitting

hi everyone and Merry Christmas!

I was looking for some resources on male's influence on the origins and development of knitting as a hobby and such and aside for some info at menknit.net, the information is mostly false, crediting women with the invention of the craft in the 15th century and them doing the production knitting, etc. Most accounts I have heard have women not even being taught to knit until the last couple of centuries, men being responsible for all production knitting, men starting the first guild, etc.

I am sure there are varying accounts, but does anyone have any online resources that are more man-centric?

Thanks bunches! Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday!

December 24th

felted hats and assorted others

So I just finished felting a belt, the sturdy belt pattern from "Knitting with balls" I just got it recently and this is the first thing i tried. I havent finished the belt but Im already amazed with the effect of felting. Is there a way to modify an exisitng non felted pattern, such as the london beanie pattern floating around the web to a felted pattern? or do I just make it very large and hope for the best when felting? Any tips greatly appreciated!

I wish everyone a happy holiday season, a fun filled new year, and a remember, better a warm knitwit than a cold nitwit!

- Dan

Bill's picture

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you all...
I'm in Phoenix, Arizona visiting my son for Christmas..(...and busy knitting a new grey kilt sock...)
...hope everyone gets lots of yarn for Christtmas!!!
...or gift certificates!!!