Archive - Oct 12, 2006 - Forum topic

Date
Type

WMarksII's picture

Blocking

Ok Gang, let's hear about your favorite ways to block...all techniques...all types. Let's hear from the lace knitters and the sweater dudes.

Personally, (and yeah, I think I'm man enough to admit this in public) blocking has always been something I should do and should know how to do, but probably don't do as well or know as much as I should. Up till now, I've been one to haul out the steamer and steam the living crap out of something, stretching this way and that until I think it's right...only to find out about 40% (OK...70%) of the time I've got to redo it.

My OCD Mother (god love her) bought me a quilter's press pad, and I think I'm in love. More grid lines than you can shake what ever it is you have to shake at. And I've also recently invested in blocking wires and WOO HOO if that's not better than sliced bread.

And pairing the two together almost make for a steam powered, t-pinned, perfect edge love affair of something I really hate to do.

Come on...let's hear about what you do.

Bill's picture

Baby sweater

just finished a sweater for my 18 month old grandson.
...it's knitted with two strands of a navy twist wool and cotton blend...machine washable... the yarn was a bit over $100. !!!!
I adapted a Debbie Bliss pattern so I could do it on circular needles... using steeks for the neckline and sleeves...
the hood is added by picking up the stitches all around...
it's a really beautiful shade of navy... a bright navy twisted with a deep navy...