I've decided to fight through the cotton/wool yarn I described earlier. The problems I encountered were that the ribs were very loose, and the leg was very tight. I've decided on a small needle for the rib, and a larger one for the rest of the sock. Wish me luck, men!
In the mean time, while pondering my next move with the yarn from hell, I set out to practice entrelac, since I never was able to master it before. Well, I found a pattern at my LYS, set to work, and finally was able to get it! I actually got it!
Now, if i could just figure out how to use it in something more than a small handbag!
Despite my deep eagerness to move onto something big, I have ultimately decided to keep my first project simple. I am knitting a scarf with some leftover yarn I had sitting around the house. I am using a Caron(R) Simply Soft(R) yarn. The color is Dark Country Blue, which I love because it is the closest thing to my favorite color that I could find in any of my local craft shops. I'm ribbing the scarf, alternating 1 purl, 1 knit stitch for a smaller rib. I'm not quite sure how this will turn out, but I will be certain to keep you all updated on my progress.
this is my first sweater, it's going well i suppose. i have the sleeves and hood left, then i'm done! here's a picture of the front portion during blocking. i hope i did it right... not sure. if you have any suggestions, let me know! i designed the middle pattern myself, based off of a scandinavian rose i saw in another pattern. hope you all like it! i'll be sure to post more when i'm finished.
This is my version of 'Leda's Dream' stole (which was the yahoo groups Mystery Stole #1) - I started it as a Christmas gift for a co-worker/friend with whom I do a Dicken's Festival during November and December - but got sidetracked. Since she also is Queen Elizabeth at my summer job I picked it up again (having stopped it Dec 22nd) on July 8th and have finished it.
Rather then knit it in one direction and then just add the edge to the provisional cast-on I knit the pattern in both directions from the cast-on. Since I used a larger needle then most who knit this shawl I got away with only 3 repeats of the main chart rather then the 5 most people knit. It was done in Alpaca Farms 'Suri Elegance' - the colour is 'Purple Majesty' (appropriate, no?) and I used US #6 needles.
After a little trial and little more error, I was able to get some decent soles on my clogs.
I used rug backing with about 1/2 a bottle of black paint mixed in, and made the templates from heavy duty cardboard - the sort used for book binding. This stuff is a pain in the (wherever) to cut, so i changed my original Dr. Martins type design for one with minimal turns and curves. I cut it with a dremel, and managed to keep all appendages.
Just back from a knitting-free weekend in Barcelona (lots of other fun, though) and I'm feeling a bit dispirited about the clogs. So far I've only managed half of the first one, which seems to have an extra stitch in it somehow, but I'm assuming that I can carry it through and just shrink a bit more when I eventually get round to the felting. The thought of frogging through all that short row shaping and working out where I am on the pattern is just too much.
Am I the only one who hasn't finished the first clog yet? Everyone else seems to be doing so well...
I've been playing with a new 65%/30%/5% Cotton, Wool, nylon yarn for socks, and have been having a heck of a time with it. This is my first attempt to knit with cotton, and i've got a feeling I'm going to have to adjust something, somewhere. Any advice for working with cotton?
I work with dpns for socks, but hope to learn to use circs soon, even two at a time on circs!
OK, I thought that this was going to be easy. My friend Jimmie started to make the Nano cover by Debbie Bliss for his daughter & had problems. I thought, 'Oh plesase, somethning so small can't be that hard.' Wrong.
What is it about bobbles? Why are they so hard? Or what am i/we missing?
Any tips will be very welcome. I've googled & got a few sites but they don't seem to match Debbies instructions.
This was knitted in the round on #4 DPNs using Millefili Fine, the first "pricey" yarn I've ever bought, a souvenir of my June excursion to New York and my first visit to Knit New York, a great knit café with an awesome staff.
...is also a hot seat, at least in this kind of weather. Into the 90s again today, with high humidity and little breeze. Today was the day I promised to judge knit and crochet pieces for the county fair, so off to the fairgrounds at 9 am. Mary, the supervisor, was waiting for me and knew who I was even though we'd never met in person before. Easy, I was the only male judge in her division, Home Economics.
We started with the crochet work, and the only hard judgement call I had was to rank six crocheted afghans. Managed that and wrote suggestions to all the creators. Plowed ahead through several smaller categories, then had to pick best in show for crochet. It went to the best afghan, which was really a nice piece of work.