I moved house last August and I had not unpacked my knitting machine until last week and I needed a quick and easy sweater to wear at work. The usually mild winters here in this part of Oz have been a bit too cool for me this year. It is fishermans rib, done in genuine acrylic (ugh). I would use wool but it has to be washed frequently as I work in a DIY store 3 days a week. Note the difference in the dye lots on the front and right sleeve but what would one expect for $2 a 100 gram ball?? It took just over an hpur to knit the whole thing but about 6 hours to do the neck and sew up!!
Here is the first of the Fibonnaci socks in all its glory.
Now that the Sampler Sweater is completed, along with a couple of smaller W.I.P.s that needed to be finished up, I decided I needed another new project to work on. Something I could use up some stash for since my stash is reaching a sizeable amount.
I picked up a number of old pattern books at the guild auction this year. I love the chiche-factor of many old pattern books. Yet if you look past the bad hair/bad colors/ bad yarn selections there are some great looking patterns.
This pattern book is from 1975 and this sweater in particular really caught my eye. It is a twisted stockinette stitch done on a chunky weight yarn, and I knew I had some chunky weight in the stash from last year's auction purchase.
The pattern did not have a size bg enough for me, so I knit up a swatch and went to Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. I decided to go with a vest rather than a sweater and I changed te rib from a 2/2 ribbing to a 2/1 ribbing, as well as knitting it in the round rather than flat.
Attached are pictures of the pattern book, the yarn, swatch and W.I.P. I've made a good deal of progress on it since taking the pictures. It is twice as long as shown in the picture.