Just took pics of my first handspun yarn project, which is coincidentally my first pair of mittens. While I've made several happy pairs of fingerless mitts, I've never had to worry about the decreases that mittens present. Add to that the fact that a steady gauge is impossible with my first yarn. Add to that my stronger desire to get it done than to get it perfect, and you have this oddly shaped pair. Maybe it's like they say...opposites attract? Haha. As usual, I was consulting a couple different patterns and eyeballing it in a rather carefree manner by the time I got to the tops. You'd never know I did these 2-at-a-time. That's what presented the problems, because I wanted to decrease right where I couldn't get to the stitches on the other side of the needle. Again, I improvised, until I eventually stuck one on a different needle and finished them up individually, throwing caution to the wind. The colors and gauge had already gone astray, each turning to his own way.
The ribbing was spun up to stretch the yarn far enough for a project, and it was a good thing I did. I don't think I have enough colored yarn left to stripe a hat...the jury is still out on that one. The yarn I had spun for the ribbing turned out to be even thicker than my first yarn.
Okay. So the shapes are funny. I can laugh. And the colors worked up differently. I still love them. And the ribbing is funky. But at least these mittens are funky. And after all, this is my first pair of mittens, on my first handspun yarn, and I'm sure I will still use them. They'll be warm, firm, soft, and hard for me not to stare at. And next time, I'll do things a little differently. Yes. Let's do it again!