Start: 13th February 2009
Finish: 21st February 2009
Needles: 7 mm Addi Turbos
Yarn: Lang Yarns "Tierra"; 45% merino, 37% acrylic, 18% polyamide; Colour #712.0094; Dye lot #5002
Pattern: Model 28, from Filati Men Special 5
I'm re-surfacing again after having been sick and coughing up my lungs (the coughing still lingers, but my lungs seem to still be intact).
Anyway, remember that I mentioned something about wanting to make a turtle-neck jumper with bulky yarn? Well, as you can see, it has been done!
I finished the jumper in 8 days...a bit over a week, but that was an absolute new record for me: A full jumper in 8 days! That's what you get when you knit with bulky yarn and 7 mm needles.
The yarn I used was Lang Yarns "Tierra". It's my first time working a major project with bulky yarn and I have to say that I'm pretty happy with it. For the jumper, I needed 1 kg of the yarn. Yes, a full 1 kilogram! And the sweater feels heavy enough when you lift it up...but you don't feel anything when you wear it.
I quite like the yarn for the bulkiness of it and because projects knit up fast with it, even though I'm not the type of person who wears baggy, bulky stuff. However, it would have been nice to have more natural fibre in it than the 45% merino in this yarn. I also got a jackpot with the yarn: Because I bought 1 kg of the yarn, I have two packs of 500 g from the same dye lot. One packet was a jackpot, because in every single skein there was at least one knot in it, while the other packet had only one knot in only one skein. Thank goodness that the felted join method (scroll down) works with this yarn...but still, after felting a join in the 7th ball of yarn, it got pretty old for me. :-p (Oh, and a tip about felt joining the yarn in natural or light colour: Wash your hands first. ;-) Trust me.)
One issue that concerned me about this project was the fact that I was knitting the jumper exactly to the specs in the pattern. The gauge was even right on. The pattern, however, offered only two sizes: European 48/50 and European 52/54. If you can remember from my other photos and if you knkow me, you know that I'm very slim...and I wear European size 44/46. So, even if I knit the jumper in the smallest size given, I would be a bit small for it.
I was afraid that I would "drown" in the jumper....but I went ahead with it anyway and knitted the jumper without modifications. The result being the jumper's turning out a bit big for me as expected. However, it does work as a kind of look. (You can compare my jumper to the model from the magazine.) Like Twisted Knitter had commented on one of the jumper's photos: I can pull the look off because I'm so slender and that because the cables on the jumper are so bulky, they compensate for the extra ease of the jumper.
The only complain I have with the bulk is the fact that the fabric gathers up together at the under-arm when I put my arms down. But that's nothing I cannot live with. ;-)
One novelty for me with this project was the turtle-neck. I actually like wearing turtle-neck. I used to have three turtle-neck jumpers that I bought....but they were all old and I have thrown them away the year before last already.
Such a bulky turtle-neck in natural white just looks absolutely stylish with my coat. Hmmmmm....I might make another photo when the two are combined. It does make a great sailor-military style, hence the name I have given to the jumper: Pêcheur sur la mer - Fisherman on the sea. ;-)
One thing that bothered me was the fact that with every knitted garments the instruction tells you to join all the pieces together first before knitting the collar, or in this particular case, the turtle-neck. Now, the jumper used up 900 g of the yarn already, which would mean that I have almost one kilogram of jumper being held on by skimpy knitting needles and was trying to knit a turtle-neck. That wasn't fun. I was aware of this same problem while knitting my other jumpers in the past. But with one kilogram in this bulky yarn on this jumper, the problem was very much present....but I just soldiered on and finished it.
Bottom line is that I really am happy with the result and so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Winter will make a come back for a short while so that I would at least have a chance to wear this jumper out just once.
Well, that is all I have for now. Hopefully, I will be able to find the time to blog at least once before my re-sits. Otherwise, I'll probably be back towards the end of March.
Have a great week, everyone!