This week I started to learn about increasing and decreasing using YO and K2Tog. The YO was pretty straightforward, but the K2Tog was swift to punish me for knitting too tightly. My hand started to go numb after a while.
For practice, I cast on 22 stitches onto size 9 bamboo needles (I wanted to see what bamboo felt like....definately not as slick as my Addi circs, but the lightness and warmth of the wood does feel nice). The pattern I'm working is called "Feather and Fan" or "Old Shale."
After row 4 of the 2nd repeat, I noticed I now had 23 stitches instead of 22. Hmmm. I couldn't figure out where I picked up the extra stitch, and my guru/wife was busy reorganizing her stash. So I learned another new skill...frogging. I frogged the whole thing and started over, and so far it's looking o.k. If the yarn holds out it will probably be a scarf.
Frogging was so much fun that I frogged my garter stitch scarf too. There were quite a few dropped stitches early on that I ignored, and the 60 stitches I had cast on made the scarf wider than I wanted. Then when I learned to purl and threw in a mix of seed and moss stitch that really didn't do much either. So off to the frog pond it went.
I cast on 35 stitches and will keep the project as simple garter stitch scarf. Yes, you counted right. I now have (sigh...) 3 WIPs.