stch's picture

It has been fascinating when reading through the postings to see the various terms applied to different garments. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a website or book (preferred) that provides a definition/illustration of the assorted terms used for men's garments? A couple that stand out are jumper/sweater and waistecoat/vest.
Another curiousity that has been of note as of late is that the t-neck/high collar sweater pattens available have the t-neck knitted to a length that doesn't roll down. Is this a traditional style of the neckline? or is it specific to hand knits? or is it an up and coming trend?
Thank you.


kiwiknitter's picture

Here in Middle Earth, we use

Here in Middle Earth, we use the terms jumper and jersey interchangably (rarely sweater), a slipover is a sleeveless V-neck, a cardi is a cardigan and a hoodie is a hooded garment like a jacket. I have yet to hear the term waistcoat in daily parlance but I do read the word in pattern books; it would be a vest with buttons.

Serge664's picture

I use the terms cardi and

I use the terms cardi and jumper to annoy my texan friends, but down here it all either a sweater or a sweater vest.

The t-necks with younger styling & zip I would call a soccer sweater for the pullover or soccer jacket if it zips all the way down - like a sweater version of those cool umbro & kappa windbreakers that were so popular.

I dont know if that is accurate, but if i am incorrect i can just blame it on living in indiana for 15 years.

Please remember: I have a collection of needles and a history of violence

I don't know about a book,

I don't know about a book, but in England a jumper and a sweater are the same thing. A vest is a sleeveless sweater with a v-neck. A waistcoat is a v-neck cardigan (without sleeves). A cardigan is a sweater which opens down the front with buttons and has either a v-neck or is buttoned up to the neck.

T-necks in England are an up and coming trend.

Now do you believe we speak a different language?