I like to make patchwork blankets too. Here is what I do:
I usually make mine with sportweight yarns and knit them on #5 US needles. I usually cast-on about 20 - 25 stitches and then knit about 35-40 rows for each patch.
There is an easy trick to make sure your patches end up as perfect squares -- fold each patch and turn it into two triangles. When they are the same size you know you have a perfect square.
Try this while you are knitting: With the patch in front of you and your knitting needle on top - take the bottom left corner of the patch and bring it up to the top right corner. When the triangle on top is the same size as the one on the bottom then you know you have a perfect square. If you can't get the bottom left corner to touch the top right corner then you know you need to keep adding more rows.
Then I sew all the patches together and finish them off with three or four rows of single crochet. I attached a pic of one of my finished blankets.
Hope this helps
I liked the suggestion for MWK members to participate in the Red Scarf Project. I found a link to a great website that gives more information about the project. Both Lilly Chin and Interweave press are participating in this project. I am going to send a scarf and it would be great to see other MWK members do so as well.
Links about the project:
The pictures of Jared's scarf reminded me of a project I have on my want-to-do list.
This link is to a site with two scarves that were designed in memory of Mathew Sheppard. The patterns are free and I thought it might be something that the men on this website would be interested in seeing.
If the link doesn't work you can past this into your browser:
I am trying to figure out how to treat the soles of the clogs so that they are not so slippery. I noticed that Chris has a plug for Plasti Dip in his blog. What are other guys doing to unslick their soles?
Well I felted my first pair of clogs last night.
There were a few tense moments in the process but overall I think they came out alright.
Given that I had a made a few mistakes in knitting the first clog I decided to felt them individually. That way I could shape the one I had knitted correctly to the size I wanted and then work on getting the second one to conform to size.
Clog one felted just fine but about half way through, when I pulled the piece out to check on its progress, I noticed that the heel stitches had come loose. There was a small hole on the back bumper between the two soles. I added a few extra stitches using a large and very sharp needle and then continued the felting process. The piece came out great but it had a much furrier exterior than I expected.
Well here is clog number one. I stayed up until 12:30 last night trying to get it finished. I still have to weave in the ends. If you look close in the pic you can see that I have a few gaps here and there. I think that this must be related to the fact that I lost my place several times and somehow ended up with a lot more stitches than I was supposed to have. I think I either got confused and made the sole one sized larger than I was supposed to or I lost count and jumped forward somewhere around row 25 to 35.
So what I did was I just kept going until I hit the last stitch from the toe section and then I would knit it together with the one from the heel section, turn and head back the other way. It seems to have worked out OK. But then the nice thing about felting projects is that I figure most problems will go away in the washing cycle (I hope). Of course now that I have strayed from the pattern the challenge will be trying to make the second one look similar to the first.
Thought I would post this article I came across online- seems a UK art student knitted a full size ferrari for her honors degree. The artist is quoted as saying:
“I get men admiring the racing lines and old women look at the needlework.”
How sexist -- and look at those crummy seams down the middle of her windows :)
Hi guys nice to find a site of other men who knit. I learned to knit about a dozen years ago. I put down my needles for a few years but started to knit again last year when my daughter was pregnant. The pics are of one of my recent projects - it is an all seed-stich sweater I made for my granddaughter Sadie Mae.
Its made from a debbie bliss pattern. I made it out of a really funky novelty yarn I found at a Joann's craft store. The yarn has a metalic thread that runs through it so it is all sparkly. This jacket is my homage to the one Judy Garland wore at her ' 61 Carnegie Hall concert (I figure what fun is it having a gay grandpa if you don't flaunt it a bit).