Archive - Feb 2007 - Forum topic

Date
  • All
Type

February 21st

Knitting kits

I love knitting and I just found this website www.kokobino.com offering luxury hand knitting kits. I would like to make a present to a 14 month year old baby and I would like to know if anyone has tried it. I like the look of the products with modern patterns but I'd like to know whether anyone else has used them before?

February 16th

MMario's picture

800 members

you may noot have noticed but MWK ticked over to 800 members sometime today.

February 11th

Stephen450's picture

New Skein

I was told to start a new skein by pulling the end out of the middle instead of starting with the end on the outside. I have found it damn near impossible to find the inside end without destroying the skein and then having to re-roll it. The ladies at the LYS just reach in and pull it out without any hesitation. Does anyone have any suggestions to easily locate the inside end?

February 7th

Celowin's picture

Modified Wallet Pattern

I gave a lot of background in my blog that I won’t repeat here. The upshot of it is that this was my first design project for knitting, and only my second knitting project ever. I’m proud of the way it turned out, but don’t expect anything incredibly elaborate.

The design uses the same yarn and stitch as the wallet in Michael del Vecchio’s “Knitting with Balls” book. Basically every dimension has been changed and I’ve thrown in some new techniques, so I’m willing to call this my own design that is inspired by his.

For experienced knitters, I hope you chime in and tell me what I could have done better. For less experienced knitters, I’ve tried to spell out some of the details that I wish I would have known when I started.

Yarn: Berroco Suede 100% nylon, Shade 3717. 1 ball should be sufficient, but buy a second one to play with.

Suggested needles: US size-7 straight.

Other supplies:
Embroidery floss, “Dark Coffee” shade. (this is a bit too dark, but it was the closest I could find)
Tapestry needle.
Plastic freezer bag, any size.
One-hole punch.

Gauge: 16 stitches and 28 rows is 4”x4” in stockinette stitch. 20 stitches and 32 rows is 4” x4” in linen stitch.

Darrel's picture

Uploading Images

If you guys are having trouble uploading images, make sure that there are no special characters in the file name, i.e. !,@,#,& or spaces, etc. These do not translate well in web browsers.

See this page for tips on filenaming conventions: http://htmlfixit.com/tutes/tutorial_HTML_File_Names.php

Also, be sure to resize your images to something that's under 100k and a reasonable resolution for display on a web page. Large, inline images will distort the page layout.

Attaching an image to a post, rather than trying to make it inline is also more straightforward. When creating a new post, simply expand the "File Attachments" section, browse for your local file, and click Attach.

You can always go back and edit (or delete) a post you've previously written.

Let me know if y'all have questions or describe to me the scenarios that're causing you trouble and I'll do my best to explain them here, for everyone's benefit.

Thanks!

Darrel

February 1st

Researching knitting for my thesis

Hello! I confess, I am not a man, but I *am* an avid knitter, and so when it came time to choose my anthropology thesis topic, knitting seemed like the obvious choice. :) I'm interested in changes or continuities in knitting over the past century or so, and among other things, I'm trying to talk to as many knitters as possible about what they do, how they learned, what knitting means to them, and so on. I was wondering whether anybody here at menwhoknit would be interested in completing an online survey that I put up at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=772833217495

The survey takes only about 20 minutes and does not ask for personal/identifying information (responses are also encrypted).

I'd also love to get recommendations on books or articles that you guys think are important. I'm finding loads of pattern books out there, but sources about knitting as a cultural activity seem to be more elusive, although I've heard there's stuff out there.
Thanks in advance-
Knitcricket/Gwen

Firefly | Jayne Hat

Hey there, Guys!

First post.

My decision to take up knitting was borne out of my love for Joss Whedon's TV series "Firefly"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)
...and a particular knit artifact from one of the episodes...
http://still-flying.net/images/themessage/index.php?image=themessage088.jpg

I posted this topic to the FireflyFans Forum a few days ago...

FireflyFans.net Forum | Men Who Knit?
http://fireflyfans.net/thread.asp?b=2&t=26613

Am I the first Browncoat here?

Cheers!
Chris

January 31st

davidUK's picture

Any Ideas for Kidsilk Haze?

I've started knitting with rowan kidsilk Haze and it's a bit of a nightmare - I wanted to make a hat for a friend and it looks a bit of a dishcloth. the wool also seems really 'sticky' on metal needles and is generally not very enjoyable. Will I be beaten? Any ideas?