Archive - Jan 2007 - Forum topic

Date
Type

January 14th

Chunk's picture

Going in Circles!

I keep hearing about people tackling sweaters by knitting them on circular needles. I was wondering if anyone has come across any websites that offer guidance on how the technique works? Any sites with pictures to accompany the written technique would be great as this is a knitter that needs a LOT of help before it eventually sinks in!!!!
Thanks in advance
Steve

Outerbanks Fiber Guild

I recently had the pleasure of joining this group of EXTREMELY talented fiber artists. I learned about the group from our very own Parrot (Doug) who is also the only other male knitter I have ever met. Since he is the only other male in the group, he is affectionatly known as the guild pimp!

After the business of the meeting was finishd, we were treated to a workshop on spinning on a drop spindle...WOW...what fun. Doug actually handcrafted a spindle for everyone in the group to keep. One of the most talented weavers in the group even commented that these were the best spindles she had ever used, and this lady knows her spindles...GO DOUG!

The best part of the day, however, was enjoying lunch waterside with Doug and talking for hours. I could have (and did actually) stayed all day.

If you ever find yourself in Manteo, North Carolina, be sure to stop by Fine Yarns at Kimbeeba, Sybil Ross's yarn shop. The shop really caters to all things fiber, not just knit and crochet. You must first contact Parrot, however, and let him know you coming. He is the most AWESOME host ever and soooo talented!

Luke - (Who is now spinning out of control)

Binding-off in ribbing

Since I'm working on my first top-down sweater, I'm going to be binding off at the ribbing at the waist. What technigue would you use to bind off here? I confess that when I make a sweater, I usually just double the length of the collar, use a simple chain bind off, then turn the collar under and sew it in place, so the bind off is never seen. Thanks.

January 13th

Where does One get Buttons Online?

Hello all,

I'm spending my day off sewing together the pieces of a cardigan. I have no buttons for it yet, so before I make a trip to JoAnne's Fabrics, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a good sources for buttons online?

Although JoAnne's selection is adequate, it isn't great, and it certainly can't top the convinence of shopping online.

Thanks,
Dick

January 11th

Variations on the SSK

Ok... I've got a question about SSK (slip slip knit) stitches that I've been thinking about lately while doing a lace project.

I know there are various ways to do a SSK. Some people slip both stitches purlwise, some slip them both knitwise, some slip the first one knitwise and the second purlwise. Some patterns actually mention which one to use, but most of the time it's not specified. And I've seen all the above mentioned in different books and web sites.

So which one do you prefer to use if the pattern doesn't specify? Does it depend on the project? the yarn? the pattern?

And on a related note, is there any difference between doing slipping both stitches purlwise to do a SSK and doing a K2tog thru the back loops? I admit I can't really see a difference.

January 7th

Gabriel's picture

Intarsia anyone??

Heya guys,

Long time no subject matter. The holidays were crazy and it has been a long time since I have really said much....but I've been keeping my eye on you all!

I have a question....I am starting a new project for my Godmother and she is a "bright" person...she has chosen a vest that is a multi colored intarsia and fair isle piece (very different from my charcoal grey and chocolate colored everything). I am only about a quarter of the way through and the tangling is a little...welll.....irritating! Any adivce on ways to manage this. Do you guys use bobbins, just let the fiber hang straight (no pun intended), or tie butterfly bundles....or what? I just thought I would check. Hope this New Year brings you all everything you desire! I'll try to be better at checking in!!!

potterdc's picture

Sock Directions

Hi Guys,

Stumbled across this set of sock directions while I was surfing the web the other day, entitled "Socks Knitted For and By a Guy" and posted to woolworks.com in 1996. I wasn't following these directions, but I did find them very helpful as I worked through the pair I was knitting and thought they might be helpful to others.

http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/guysox.txt

Jonathan in DC

January 3rd

JPaul's picture

Knitting in Seattle

I'll be in Seattle at the end of the month for business and I'm planning to head up a day or two early to hit the yarn stores (Weaving Works is my all-time favorite) and just hang out. I LOVE Seattle.

Do any of you have recommendations for cheap accomodations? Cool places to hang out and knit (Top Pot, maybe?). Good eats? Anyone up for a Sunday yarn crawl?

-John

January 2nd

gregory's picture

Mountain Goats and Knitting Bags

First, thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I like all the ideas I have heard. I think I will start with TwistKnit's swatch idea. I just tried some purling on my current scarf (which is quickly turning into a practice swatch that is scarf length) and I am having some troubles. I can't seem to get the needle through if I mix up purls with knits, the stitches are too tight. So, I think I need more practice before my next (first) scarf.

I also went and asked about some classes, looks like I am going to take one starting later this month. While there I picked up my 2nd set of needles; a wooden set size #7. I already have a set of size #9 so #8 seemed a bit close to what I already had. In addition I picked up some "Mountain Goat" hand painted yarn, I really like it. It is 55% mohair and 45% wool, 5st/inch/ 230 yards. It has a great changing color to it (called Firestorm). It is kind of spendy but I won't use it until I am ready. I got it at my LYS but here is an online link to the same stuff:

http://yarnsandthreads.com/store/images/firestormw.jpg
http://www.fuzzymabel.com/yarn/mc/mc_mtngoat.shtml

Now, the last question, What does everyone use for a knitting bag? Everything I look at is really geared towards woman. I have been using a big zip lock bag, but that is already getting too small. Any really neat ideas for portable bags out there? I am sure this crowd has come up with some very clever options.

gregory's picture

Suggestions for my next project.

Ok all you experts out there I need some suggestions. If you read my initial blog post you will know I have been knitting about 1 week. My first project, a test scarf, is going to be done soon and I would really like to move onto something that I would feel good about giving to someone. My first scarf is a mess. It ranges from 24 to 32 stiches (not on purpose) and the tension is all over the place. I have knitted the whole thing (no purling anywhere). I know that my 2nd project will also not be perfect, but I am hoping I can do something with some character. The important thing to me is that I am able to make fairly good progress on it so I do not get discouraged. I was thinking of two things:

o Another scarf with fancier yarn. perhaps try a 2k, 2p pattern or something like that.
o A hat.

the problem with the hat is I do not know how to knit in the round yet. I would also have to go buy some new needles (which I don't mind doing). Right now I only own a set of #9 plain knitting needles, some end protectors, a crochet hook (size g) and a finishing needle.

Anyway, if any of you have any ideas please let me know. I don't want to take on a project I am not ready for.

--greg.