Archive - 2007 - Forum topic

January 29th

Gabriel's picture

Hello Gents...

I'm thinking about knitting a dog sweater for a charity auction here in Tulsa. Its for the Pet Assistance Welfare Society and my LYS is donating a gift certificate with it if I do. Do you guys know of a good resource for patterns? I thought I would even check online..but don't know where to look! Just thought I would put it out there!

January 26th

First time in the round

I want to crank out a simple V-day hat for my sweetie but I have never knit in the round before. I'm still new to knitting but I enjoy it and would like to learn how to work in the round.

Am I setting myself up for disappointment by trying to learn and have something done in 2.5 weeks? Or should I give it a go? DPNs or circulars and the magic loop method?

January 21st

Stephen450's picture

Continental Purl

I just got back from a group class at my LYS where I learned that I'm wrapping my purl stitch the wrong direction! I also found out that I'm supposed to hold both needles with thumb and forefinger. That's making my continental purl seem all new and foreign to me. Anybody have any suggestions that might help me be a better purler?

jrrenola's picture

Quick Gauge Question

Now that I'm using the long tail CO, things are going much better. I've bought 2 different colored skeins for the same brand/weight yarn and was knitting a swatch to check my gauge. When I opened my book, it described how to count stitches/rows in stockinette, but not in garter...which I've been doing. Does it matter which pattern I use for a gauge check? My end product (with the yarn) is a garter-stitch scarf for my wife. Even though gauge for a scarf isn't needed, I figured I'd give it a whirl. Any ideas how to count rows/stitches in garter?

Thanks!!!
John

January 20th

Patches...

Hi there,

My mum is making a blanket with patches. She is doing 19 stitches across each time. Would it be easier to do a different number and how can I make it equal when I am doing it. I've just started myself and her patches are not exactly same size by width and length but I would like mine to be more square type when I am doing them. :) Thanks...

January 18th

jrrenola's picture

Casting On Troubles

I'm very new to knitting and am still having my fair share of issues. I have a hard time casting on and then knitting the first row. Mainly, I think it's a function of the "death grip" that people have talked about in other forums. But, I'm also wondering if there's better ways to cast on or different ones for different situations. I'm especially having trouble getting the right needle into those first cast on stitches.

The casting-on that I've used involved tying a slip-knot onto the left needle, then inserting the right needle through it (like knitting), wrapping the yarn around the right needle (like knitting), and then pulling the loop through and slipping back onto the left needle. My issue with that is knowing which way the loop should go onto the left.

Another cast-on involved the same slip-knot, but then kind of looping the yarn stitch-by-stitch with the left hand while loading it onto the needle. This is the CO I have the greatest problem with... I may be making the stitches too tight again...

Any thoughts?

January 14th

Chunk's picture

Going in Circles!

I keep hearing about people tackling sweaters by knitting them on circular needles. I was wondering if anyone has come across any websites that offer guidance on how the technique works? Any sites with pictures to accompany the written technique would be great as this is a knitter that needs a LOT of help before it eventually sinks in!!!!
Thanks in advance
Steve

Outerbanks Fiber Guild

I recently had the pleasure of joining this group of EXTREMELY talented fiber artists. I learned about the group from our very own Parrot (Doug) who is also the only other male knitter I have ever met. Since he is the only other male in the group, he is affectionatly known as the guild pimp!

After the business of the meeting was finishd, we were treated to a workshop on spinning on a drop spindle...WOW...what fun. Doug actually handcrafted a spindle for everyone in the group to keep. One of the most talented weavers in the group even commented that these were the best spindles she had ever used, and this lady knows her spindles...GO DOUG!

The best part of the day, however, was enjoying lunch waterside with Doug and talking for hours. I could have (and did actually) stayed all day.

If you ever find yourself in Manteo, North Carolina, be sure to stop by Fine Yarns at Kimbeeba, Sybil Ross's yarn shop. The shop really caters to all things fiber, not just knit and crochet. You must first contact Parrot, however, and let him know you coming. He is the most AWESOME host ever and soooo talented!

Luke - (Who is now spinning out of control)

Binding-off in ribbing

Since I'm working on my first top-down sweater, I'm going to be binding off at the ribbing at the waist. What technigue would you use to bind off here? I confess that when I make a sweater, I usually just double the length of the collar, use a simple chain bind off, then turn the collar under and sew it in place, so the bind off is never seen. Thanks.

January 13th

Where does One get Buttons Online?

Hello all,

I'm spending my day off sewing together the pieces of a cardigan. I have no buttons for it yet, so before I make a trip to JoAnne's Fabrics, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a good sources for buttons online?

Although JoAnne's selection is adequate, it isn't great, and it certainly can't top the convinence of shopping online.

Thanks,
Dick