Archive - 2007 - Forum topic

March 13th

Celowin's picture

Knitting Software?

Does anyone have any experience with any knitting design software? I'm mainly looking for something to help with charting out color work for intarsia and fair isle.

I've found a neat little package that has a free demo, Stitch & Motif Maker, but $90 US seems kind of steep for what it does.

Does anyone know of any other options?

March 12th

MMario's picture

MWK and html

a lot fo online forums do not allow html tags (or don't recognize them or don't process them - however you want to say it). MWK does. at least for links, italics, bold, underline, strikeout -- the basic stuff.

Which I find FANTASTIC! It's a lot easier for me to type the tags in as I go then have to hightlight and click - or remember that I have to use different brackets -- and differrent code for links, etc.

March 11th

Serge664's picture

Photo lighting help

a couple of us had been talking about ways to get better photos of our work on the cheap.

This tutorial for a DIY light tent was posted on makezine.com and I thought some of you might like to see.

DIY $10 Macro Photo Studio

I made something along this line with a sheet clipped to an empty picture frame suspended horizontally for a museum gift shop website, and the pics always turned out very well.

I also used a very similar set up with a pillowcase clipped in a hanging file frame.

Homemade Light Tent

Here's some pics i took for the museum website. There is some photoshop work involved in these, but not much.

Swifts?

I'm contemplating getting a swift and maybe a ball winder since I've got quite a bit of yarn that is in hanks and it's becomming a pain in the butt to try and hold the hank and wind by hand. Especially with a small dog that apparently has enough cat in him to want to play with the yarn.

Yes, I've seen everything from tinkertoys to lampshades being used as substitute swifts, but I'm wondering how many of you guys have swifts and if you find it easier to work with the umbrella types or the tabletop ones?

Opinions?

March 7th

boyforpele13's picture

speaking of toe-up socks....

i'm doing the universal toe-up from knitty, which has you do the short-row toe and then repeat the short-row toe for the heel. i did the heel last night and everything went fine until I got to that last wrapped purl from the prior row when you go back to working in the round. I remembered I wasn't sure how to address it in the toe since the wraps were on the right and really far down, but it seemed to work out (at least I guess), but in the heel, when I tried to pull up the wraps and knit them, I wound up with a ginormous hole right there that was not present on the opposite side.... i know i could pick up a stitch and decrease in the following round, but i think the hole is actually from the way i'm doing the wraps and might not be fixed by that method... any ideas?

Thanks!

Bill's picture

"Recent Posts" button

I've been a member of this list from the very beginning...and used to spend hours backtracking through the list to read new messages...
I only recently discovered the "Recent Posts" button over in the left column...!

What a timesaver!!!
Thank you Darryl!!!

March 6th

boyforpele13's picture

colinette jitterbug

hey guys!

i really dig some jitterbug colorways and the yarn is pretty yummy. they promise one hank (about 300 yards) will make a full pair if following their pattern correctly, but a) i have big feet and b) i don't want to use 3s. anyone done this? while i will happily pay $20 for a hank if it makes a full pair of socks (who knew that becoming a sock knitter would make $20 socks okay? someone hit me) I will NOT do $40.

thanks!

March 1st

njknitguy's picture

Introduction

Introducing myself here. My name is Carlos and I'm from NJ. I started knitting on 1/30/06. So far, I've made two scarves and a hat. I'm currently working on a hat, this time for myself. So glad I found this community for men who knit. YAY!!!!

I don't really know what else to say right now, so I'm going to start reading forum topics and making friends, haha.

February 21st

Knitting kits

I love knitting and I just found this website www.kokobino.com offering luxury hand knitting kits. I would like to make a present to a 14 month year old baby and I would like to know if anyone has tried it. I like the look of the products with modern patterns but I'd like to know whether anyone else has used them before?

February 16th

MMario's picture

800 members

you may noot have noticed but MWK ticked over to 800 members sometime today.