Archive - 2007 - Forum topic

April 27th

Felted ipod cover/case

I have search the net for a felted ipod cover and found nothing real good. If anyone has a sight or pattern please let me know.

April 26th

Bill's picture

Hat forms

with more men doing hats...you might like to know about these hat forms...
http://www.hatshapers.com/

They are very well made of HEAVY vacuum formed plastic...and CHEAP!
...most of them are $28.00

Bill

April 24th

Knitivity's picture

Weekly Topics?

Hey I noticed there were discussions last year with weekly topics. Did that get boring? Is there an interest in renewing such a discussion?

April 17th

felted hat pattern wanted

Hi all,
So I am not actually a guy who knits, but a girl who knits, so I hope I am not intruding. I am hoping you all may be able to help me out with an (apparently!) unusual request: my mother's boyfriend hunts, and I would like to make him a nice, warm, sturdy hat. I came across some "safety vest orange" yarn which inspired this idea. I have been looking for a felted men's hat pattern, and have not been finding much of anything so far! Could any of you help me out? I believe the yarn is bulky weight, and this will be my first attempt at felting so I would like something to help me out with the pre-felting dimensions. Also, a style with ear flaps would be a bonus. Thanks!

Pennchic6

April 14th

potterdc's picture

Knitting/Fiber mags?

Hello Knitting Gentlemen,

I'm wondering which knitting or fiber magazines folks like and subscribe to? I finally got around to resubscribing to Interweave's Spin Off (after, oh, a good 10 year hiatus) mostly for the ads and resources.

What are your favorites?

Jonathan in DC

April 5th

Bill's picture

LACE KNITTING

( just received this from Lacis... http://lacismuseum.org....click on museum/newsletter)

LACE KNITTING ON THE MUSEUM WEBSITE
Finally, I am happy to announce an exciting new addition to our web forum. The "Niebling Lace Knitting" page is now available for the discussion of lace knitting, and especially the patterns of the master of lace knitting, Herbert Niebling. His beautiful, intricate designs are regarded by many as the ultimate challenge for lace knitting, and the current renaissance of the art, nurtured by blogs and email lists, has brought them to the attention of a new generation of knitters. Because Niebling's designs are scattered through a number of out-of-print publications, notably Burda's Anna magazine and Coats leaflets, they can be difficult to locate. The difficulty is compounded by the fact that designs are not always attributed to Niebling, and the names of the designs may change from one publication to the next. Here at Lacis we have a special interest in preserving the heritage of lace-making of all sorts. We are presently working on a reprint of two Japanese lace books that feature several Niebling patterns, and our research has inspired us to make our own contribution by creating a catalogue of Niebling's works. To that end, we have created a new page on our forum to facilitate the sharing of information. As this information becomes available I will enter it into a spread sheet, which will be posted on our website. If you'd like to join in this venture, have a peek at the forum and let us know what you think.

March 28th

Jack's picture

Local Yarn Shops

Since we are on the subject of local yarn shops, do any of you have suggestions for a LYS in the Knoxville, TN area?

March 25th

BronxKnit's picture

Vest Patern

Hello All.

I just turned the heal on one sock and am already looking forward to my next project. (cause I don’t have enough yarn in my stash as it is) I was in Seaport Yarns with my girlf and her mother and saw a very nice vest pattern that I may get at some point.

My question is this: who amongst us has knit a vest; was it "fun", satisfying or boring; what pattern did you use/not use and would you recommend the project?

Thanks for your help in advance

Bronx Knits.

BTW: Seaport Yarns is an astounding place, if you get the chance to go I can only recommend it. Just remember to bring cash or check, they do not accept credit cards. BK

March 15th

Bill's picture

Poor books

as long as we're discussing books...don't be tempted with "Knitty Gritty Knits" by Vickie Howell...jumbled layout, simplistic projects...

and "Knitprovisation" by Cilla Ramnek...full of the ugliest re-worked knit/crochet projects I've ever seen!!!!!

March 13th

BronxKnit's picture

Hello

Hello Y'all

Long time reader, first time poster. My Girlfriend got me into knitting when she decided I needed a healthy and constructive outlet for my holiday stress this past Christmas; as such I have been knitting since 12/28/06. I have completed some projects (http://www.flickr.com/photos/13403465@N00/sets/72157594525789008/) and would love some feed-back.

I am currently working on my first sock, and I have strategic yarn reserves that I have been coached to call my "stash".

I am glad to be here.

Knitting in the Bronx