Archive - Apr 2006 - Forum topic

Date
Type

April 30th

Hi Men

Our sister site is up & running have you been encouraging your female friends to support it?

What's In Your Knitting Bag?

What kind of knitting bag do you carry...and what do you carry in it?

I'll go first:

I have a black microfiber bag with  blue "J" embroidered on it.  I also sometimes carry a LL Bean boat and tote.  What's in my bag....

About 42 pair of half glasses to include 1 pair of half sunglasses.

A highlighter

Various pens and pencils

Chapstick

measuring tape

small multi color floral bag that was my mom's for my do-dads which include, needles, needle sizer, stitch holders,  cable needle, folding scissors.

April 29th

RainCityRick's picture

Any interest in a Seattle "Stitch 'n Scratch"?

Anyone in the Seattle-area interested in establishing a monthly get together - sort of a "Stitch 'n Scratch" (the male version of "Stitch 'n Bitch")?

Send me an email with your general availability (weekdays, weeknights, weekends, etc.) and I'll set something up.

It would be fun to touch base and see what each other is up to!

April 28th

Searching for hat pattern

Has anyone seen an interesting pattern for a knitted hat with a lining?  I have in mind something like a plain navy or black watch cap, with a colorful inner lining, possibly just barely visible when the edge is turned up.  (Anybody remember Wally Cox advertising brightly-colored underpants?)  I'm basically looking for a cap within a cap, not the sort of double-sided knitting that you do by slipping every other stitch.  It should also cover the ears and provide serious protection from the wind.  Any ideas?

April 27th

Aaronknits's picture

Yoga, Meditation, and Knitting

The topic of meditation and knitting seems to come up frequently.  Adding yoga to that mix is only logical since yoga is, as I've frequently been told, designed to prepare the body to sit in meditation.  And of course, when we knit, we are most always sitting, often for long periods of time.  Not far from Albany in Lenox, Massachussets is the Kripalu Yoga Center which sometimes offers weekend workshops for yoga and knitting.  I think the last one was in February of this year.  These workshops are led by Karen Allen (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Animal House, Starman, etc.).  Here's a link to her bio as a program presenter at Kripalu http://www.kripalu.org/presenter/367 and on that page is a link to her store in nearby Great Barrington.

April 21st

Darrel's picture

Women Who Knit

After months of prodding, we're proud to announce the launch of Women Who Knit, our new sister site!

It offers the same features and functionality that have enabled MWK users to share their craft so effectively.

Spread the word to your knitting sisters!

Jeff1201PA's picture

Fixing Mistakes

Help! How do you go back to fix mistakes or pick up dropped stitches?

April 18th

Knitting Belt and Wires

Finally found my knitting belt (in a box on top of the wardrobe...one of many!).  This is a shetland belt made in leather and stuffed with horse hair.  The rows of holes are to insert the needle in a suitable position.  I have seen a video of a shetland knitter using such a belt.  She averaged an incredible 300 stitches a minute!T while maintaining her pattern and talking to the interviewer all the while. She also managed to use only three needles to work a round - I'm not sure how as four seem to be the usual minimum. 

The 'wires' are from Guernsey (so from one of the northern-most of the isles to the southern-most).  These 'wires's, there are 8) are 18" (46cms) long and an old UK size 13 but they don't vary much across the UK.  These are steel and extremely uncomfortable to work with.  Often they bent themselves in to a curve. Thank goodness for Addi Turbo.

April 16th

kiwiknitter's picture

Forum Topic: James Norbury and the Method of Knitting

Yesterday, we went to an antique show/fair and one of the exhibitors was a woman who was furiously knitting.  Of course, I went to chat with her and discovered that she was knitting in the medieval method of holding the right needle still and tucked under the right arm while all the movements of knitting were done by the left arm.  The only involvement of the right hand was to throw the wool.  Those who have studied the history of knitting know that in the medieval ages the members of the knitting guilds wore special belts with a groove which held the right hand needle in a stationary position.  I must say that this woman knitted with great speed both the knit and the purl stitches.

April 14th

Bill's picture

Eye Candy!

check out the various exhibits on this site..

wonderful scarves...knitted, crocheted..felted...everything...

http://scarfcrazy.knotjustknitting.com 

Bill