Archive - Dec 7, 2006 - Forum topic

Date
Type

Serge664's picture

Any Bi-lingual Knitters?

Tonight I am teacing my first bi-lingual knitting class. Mi espanol es muy Basic, but I have a worksheet with basic terms & whatnot from a back-issue Knit.1.

I was wondering if anyone knew of links to other resources/websites I can give to mis estudiantes.

Aside from a few Japanese pattern sites, I have never really thought about foreign patterns, but I am sure they have to be out there.

Since I am teaching in Texas, it would brobably be a good idea for me to brush up on knitting en espanol. Anyone know if spanish pattern books can be ordered on-line?

Sweater Sizing

I am about to knit a sweater for myself, my very first "big project"! I like Lucky from knitty.com, but the size small pattern calls for a 40" finished chest. That means I either need to gain 10" in my chest or resize the sweater. I'm thinking the latter would be easier and less work.

How do I alter the pattern so I don't make a sweater I can drown in? Additionally, how do I figure out how much yarn I'm going to need? I already bought the yarn (it was on sale for half-price and couldn't pass up the deal) and I'm not entirely convinced I have enough, even if I make the sweater smaller. Right now I have about 850 yards of Mission Falls 1824 Wool, color #18 (spruce) and another 170 yards of color #6 (oatmeal).

If I've been hitting the gym, my measurements are about 30" chest, 17" torso, 24-25" waist, and about 20" long arms. I knit a stockinette swatch and got about 18-19 st/4".