Archive - Dec 25, 2006 - Forum topic

Date
Type

MasonM's picture

How To Get Started?

Ok, I know next to nothing about knitting but wish to learn. How do I get started? Good books? Supplies? Just wing it and see what happens?

boyforpele13's picture

the manly history of knitting

hi everyone and Merry Christmas!

I was looking for some resources on male's influence on the origins and development of knitting as a hobby and such and aside for some info at menknit.net, the information is mostly false, crediting women with the invention of the craft in the 15th century and them doing the production knitting, etc. Most accounts I have heard have women not even being taught to knit until the last couple of centuries, men being responsible for all production knitting, men starting the first guild, etc.

I am sure there are varying accounts, but does anyone have any online resources that are more man-centric?

Thanks bunches! Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday!

felted hats and assorted others

So I just finished felting a belt, the sturdy belt pattern from "Knitting with balls" I just got it recently and this is the first thing i tried. I havent finished the belt but Im already amazed with the effect of felting. Is there a way to modify an exisitng non felted pattern, such as the london beanie pattern floating around the web to a felted pattern? or do I just make it very large and hope for the best when felting? Any tips greatly appreciated!

I wish everyone a happy holiday season, a fun filled new year, and a remember, better a warm knitwit than a cold nitwit!

- Dan

Bill's picture

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you all...
I'm in Phoenix, Arizona visiting my son for Christmas..(...and busy knitting a new grey kilt sock...)
...hope everyone gets lots of yarn for Christtmas!!!
...or gift certificates!!!