Archive - Oct 2006 - Forum topic

Date
Type

October 16th

MMario's picture

Purl 3 together versus SSPP

okay - I've been having problems with purl 3 together - small needles, fuzzy teensy yarn.

on the other hand I can slip 2 stitches purlwise (with yarn in front) purl one and pass slipped stitches over with barely a thought. As far as I can see they look identical when finished.

Comments?

About to begin illusion knitting

I haven't done any illusion knitting yet, and recently I've been itching to put a certain video game character around me neck, so I thought I would combine the two and make a scarf. My question is this: do I need to stretch the image I'll be working on one way or another so it looks right after being converted into shadow knitting?

October 13th

MMario's picture

images/file attachments/ Problems?

I noticed last night it took several attempt to get files attched to my posts; that may have been due to the fact I was working on a dial-up workstation. Anyone else having problems?

The other wierd thing is the new image (without a title so impossible to get to) shown as being posted by me at a time I know I didn't even attempt it.

hmmmmmm.......

October 12th

WMarksII's picture

Blocking

Ok Gang, let's hear about your favorite ways to block...all techniques...all types. Let's hear from the lace knitters and the sweater dudes.

Personally, (and yeah, I think I'm man enough to admit this in public) blocking has always been something I should do and should know how to do, but probably don't do as well or know as much as I should. Up till now, I've been one to haul out the steamer and steam the living crap out of something, stretching this way and that until I think it's right...only to find out about 40% (OK...70%) of the time I've got to redo it.

My OCD Mother (god love her) bought me a quilter's press pad, and I think I'm in love. More grid lines than you can shake what ever it is you have to shake at. And I've also recently invested in blocking wires and WOO HOO if that's not better than sliced bread.

And pairing the two together almost make for a steam powered, t-pinned, perfect edge love affair of something I really hate to do.

Come on...let's hear about what you do.

Bill's picture

Baby sweater

just finished a sweater for my 18 month old grandson.
...it's knitted with two strands of a navy twist wool and cotton blend...machine washable... the yarn was a bit over $100. !!!!
I adapted a Debbie Bliss pattern so I could do it on circular needles... using steeks for the neckline and sleeves...
the hood is added by picking up the stitches all around...
it's a really beautiful shade of navy... a bright navy twisted with a deep navy...

October 11th

ronhuber's picture

Fair Isle

Finished a fair isle vest. The pattern is a combination of Debbie Bliss and my own design. I find fair isle such a satisfying endeavour

October 5th

Okay, so am I CRAZY???

Hello All,

I just registered to the site because I think I'm going crazy ...

I've decided that I am going to "challenge" myself with the Moebius Design. So on that note, I went to my LYS and was talking with the amazing staff ... I bought Cat's first book A treasury of magical knitting, some cheap practice yarn and a LONG circular needle ...

Well ... It's about time to sit down and do some serious figuring out ...

Does anyone have any advice??? I'm thinking a mix of crazy drugs, but I would rather not really go crazy ...

October 2nd

To knot or not to knot

Hi,
I'm currently working on a four panelled throw,(when finished will be 160cm/63" square) which has a stockinette main section with 6cm/2.5" garter stitch borders.
Although it's not really reversible, I don't want to see knots on the back whenever I join in another ball of yarn.

How do others 'join' yarn together seamlessly?
The pattern is from the book simple knits for everyday living by erika knight page 80.
I'll post a photo after I've completed each section.

Rory.

Picot Bind Off & Counting

I'm working on a project that calls for a Picot bind off and have an elementary question regarding counting. The Picot bind off directions are:

Bind off 5 stitches, [slip st on right needle back to left needle; CO 1 st using Cable Cast On method, BO 6 sts] ...

My elementary question is this, as I begin to bind off I knit the first stitch, knit the second stitch and then pass the 1st stitch over the 2nd stitch. How many stitches did I just bind off, 1 or 2?

The pattern is a 4x1 rib so I'm assuming that the answer to my question is 2 so that the Picot ends up on the Purl stitch in the rib pattern. Otherwise the Picot ends up 1 stitch past the Purl which just doesn't seem right.

I figure it would be good to know this basic answer since it'll come in handy when making necklines.

Thanks...Keith
(feeling very stupid since I've been knitting for a few years).