Archive - Oct 2006 - Forum topic

Date
Type

October 29th

Bill's picture

Curling & Braids

speaking of knitting curling...the new Vogue Knitting magazine has a beautiful scarf on it's cover...(with instructions inside)
...because of the curling strips...I thought they were tubes, but they're six strips...started as a single section of garter stitch, then divided and knitted in individual strips ninety inches long, braided then joined again.

ronhuber's picture

saxon braid

Just finished a sweater with a saxon braid running up the front. It was knit in a worsted weight - Briggs and Little wool from New Brunswick - and seemed to fly off the needles.

October 28th

Hi!

Howdy I just joined this site. Started knitting about two weeks ago. Taking a project knitting class or two at the LYS. The people are fantastic. Finished my first scarf. Basic knit stitch. Now I am working on a second scarf in the stockinette stitch and its curling. I have about 13 inches on it so far and am thinking that I can crochet a border around it when I am finished........any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to start a big warm wool blanket and of course, a sweater and also a Jeep cover(joke)...........Thanks!

October 22nd

warm hat for MN

I'm currently working on a london beanie, but realized it wont really be all that warm for the minnesota winters i have, any suggestions for a simple warm hat?

October 20th

Gabriel's picture

Canadian humor!??!

Ok, I'm married to a canadian so I know the answer to this...however do you think that the creator of this rollers-in-the-hairh hat (found on knitty.com) was smokin a little sompin-sompin when she thought anyone might where it? Just wonderin.....it does reflect their great humor though! s

October 19th

Darrel's picture

The full scoop

Gentlemen,

What happened was me not getting emails from my domain registrar alerting me of the upcoming renewal date and failure of the auto-payment setup because we recently got new credit cards.

I apologize if the downtime caused anyone to think I have intentions of taking the site down, but rest assured this is simply not the case.

Mike sent me a message Wednesday evening altering me to the site being down around 6:30. I logged on to the domain registrar, re-entered our cc info, and that was it. I replied to Mike's email around midnight, but the hysteria seemed to continue on the the site the next day.

Please recognize that an interruption in your service is also an interruption in mine. I genuinely appreciate the emotion and sentiment expressed because I feel it comes from the sense of community I want this site to inspire.

Paying for the domain name isn't a problem. This site is a project of a business my best friend and I operate, which is linked in the footer of the site.

When you visit sponsor links, order through the ads on the page, or buy a t-shirt, that money goes towards paying for our web hosting and other business expenses so we can keep doing cool stuff and maybe one day quit our day jobs.

rbthntschl's picture

What the...???

What happened to the site yesterday (10/18)? I came here to do a little reading and got a page that didn't look nearly as handsome and attractive as our page.

Luv 'n' Stuff
Bob in Fort Lauderdale
Where the boys are...
but they don't knit...
poor things

October 18th

Debbie Stoller Requests Submissions

I received an email from the Stitch 'n Bitch mailing list that Debbie Stoller is in the process of writing a Stitch 'n Bitch of Men's and Boy's Patterns. She is looking for pattern submissions. Here is the content of the email for those who are interested.

Hey everyone-

I'm working on another book, and this one's going to be full of knit and crochet projects for men (and boys). I've already got a bunch of fab stuff together, but I still need a few more submissions. I'm looking for socks, gloves, hats, scarves, sweaters, bags, and anything else you can think of. If you've got something you'd like to contribute, please send an email to stitchnbitch@bust.com by November 3rd (or before) You may send photos of completed items, or sketches of items you're proposing along with a photo of a (large) swatch knit or crocheted in the manner that you'd like to do the project. YOu don't have to try and get an entire sweater done by November 3rd, so don't sweat it. If I am able to include your project, you will be paid for your pattern and provided with all the yarn you need to work up a sample for the book.

I'm looking for stuff that men will actually wear or use, so if you're female and you've got an idea, run it past a person of the male persuasion and get their input before sending it off. I want to put an end to the curse of the boyfriend sweater, with a book full of boy-tested, boy-approved projects. Male stitchers are particuarly invited to contribute!

October 17th

Old Sock Knitting Machine

I have acquired an early 20th century 'Golden Fleece' sock knitting machine. It's an English make but most, I understand, are American. It would appear to be complete but utterly baffling. Such web sites that exist about them give details of their history but not much information about how to use them.
I'd love to get it working and grind away the winter evenings turning out more socks than I could ever wear but I need to collect information about these machines to get some understanding about how to get started. If young girls in WWl managed to make comforts for the troops using these, then I ought to be able to manage it somehow...
Does anyone have any experience of these machines?

ronhuber's picture

Baby Surprise Jacket

Just finished an Elizabeth Zimmermann Baby Surprise Jacket from left over Briggs and Little wool. It was fun to do and is almost instant gratification. Still have to put buttons on it.