Archive - 2006 - Forum topic

August 2nd

rbthntschl's picture

Don't you want to take me on a sea cruise?

My LYS's have organized a 4 day cruise out of Miami, complete with classes in knitting and crocheting.  I would love to go but I would need a roommate.  Details are here:  http://www.tropicalyarns.com/index.cfm?PID=1&ArticleID=92.  It's the first weekend of November, 2006.  FYI, I live near Fort Lauderdale's airport and should have no trouble meeting a flight if it came to that.  I can answer any specific questions as they arise.

Bob in Fort Lauderdale, Where the boys are...but they don't knit...poor things

rbthntschl's picture

Men who Knit.com Convention???

Mike in Tampa aka stickywarp actually gave me this idea.  What do you guys think about having a convention or gathering somewhere like, I don't know, maybe, Florida...in February?  I have an acquaintance at a convention-type hotel in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area who could help to set it up.  My questions for you all are:  How much would you be willing to spend in terms of time and money?  What kind of program(s) would you like to see? Classes? Yarn crawls?  Vendors?  Should we bow?  Should we curtsy?  Should we give them Tiparillos?   (OOPS.  Wrong room.)  Let me know what you think please.

December 31st

n/a

August 1st

kiwiknitter's picture

Steeks

I am searching for information on doing steeks.  Anyone out there doing them or had experience to share?  If you can contribute to any of the following, it would be appreciated:

1. Any references (book or on-line) for doing steeks;

2. Any experience you've had and tips you'd like to share;

3. The different methods for doing a steek; and,

4. How to do steeks for necklines, cardigan fronts and armholes.

Cheers!

MMario's picture

Exotics

So - what's the most exotic fiber you've worked with, either spinning or knitting.

I am often tempted to get som qiviut, possum, yak, bison, etc.

And some of the stranger fibers from habu - pineapple? stainless steel?

but I'm too much a New Englander by nature and nurture to spend the cash!

July 31st

MMario's picture

astericks

I mayt be missing something very obvious - but when I look at "recent posts" some of the titles have red astericks next to them - and I can't see any sort of pattern for it. what do the astericks mean?

July 30th

Chat Room

So that we poor souls over in Europe don't have to get up at 0300 to join in the chat room, some of us will be there at 1900 BST/2000 CET every Sunday starting on the 6th August.  Any guys wanting to chat - see you there! ;)

Simon

July 28th

Dish Cloth patterns

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some interesting dishcloth patterns. I normally create my own... But  I am interested to see what other patterns are out there.

So if you have some great patterns lets see them...

Thanks 

MMario's picture

Blogs vs forum topics....

I've noticed the past few weeks that most postings to this site seem to be in the blog form; which is nice in that it can include photos; but I marvel that the forums are so under-utilized. I guess I just prefer the forum format. The blog forms seem so dis-jointed to me; and they are definately harder to follow for any sort of "conversation"

July 27th

Coned Yarn

good morning fellas!  I found a sweet deal on organic colorgrown cotton on 12 oz. cones (845) yards but was a little bit leary of ordering it without some input.  I am sure there are some great rescources out there for buying coned yarn but it is a laungage I don't speak.  it is 2/2 which the seller says is a worsted weight.  WEBS has a sweet deal on some tweedy wool colors (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1300-1308-1317/0/15/1311/) and it sells for 12$per pound for 992 yrds per pound. 4-4.5 stitches per inch.  I have never bought yarn this way so i don't know anything about washing it to remove the oils, drying it, or if this is just a bad idea but you could whip up a sweater for cheap with it!  if anybody has a good resource for buying yarn this way, or has bought it and wants to shed some insight on the washing process, by all means, please throw some help this way! thanks!