Archive - 2006 - Forum topic

October 19th

Darrel's picture

The full scoop

Gentlemen,

What happened was me not getting emails from my domain registrar alerting me of the upcoming renewal date and failure of the auto-payment setup because we recently got new credit cards.

I apologize if the downtime caused anyone to think I have intentions of taking the site down, but rest assured this is simply not the case.

Mike sent me a message Wednesday evening altering me to the site being down around 6:30. I logged on to the domain registrar, re-entered our cc info, and that was it. I replied to Mike's email around midnight, but the hysteria seemed to continue on the the site the next day.

Please recognize that an interruption in your service is also an interruption in mine. I genuinely appreciate the emotion and sentiment expressed because I feel it comes from the sense of community I want this site to inspire.

Paying for the domain name isn't a problem. This site is a project of a business my best friend and I operate, which is linked in the footer of the site.

When you visit sponsor links, order through the ads on the page, or buy a t-shirt, that money goes towards paying for our web hosting and other business expenses so we can keep doing cool stuff and maybe one day quit our day jobs.

rbthntschl's picture

What the...???

What happened to the site yesterday (10/18)? I came here to do a little reading and got a page that didn't look nearly as handsome and attractive as our page.

Luv 'n' Stuff
Bob in Fort Lauderdale
Where the boys are...
but they don't knit...
poor things

October 18th

Debbie Stoller Requests Submissions

I received an email from the Stitch 'n Bitch mailing list that Debbie Stoller is in the process of writing a Stitch 'n Bitch of Men's and Boy's Patterns. She is looking for pattern submissions. Here is the content of the email for those who are interested.

Hey everyone-

I'm working on another book, and this one's going to be full of knit and crochet projects for men (and boys). I've already got a bunch of fab stuff together, but I still need a few more submissions. I'm looking for socks, gloves, hats, scarves, sweaters, bags, and anything else you can think of. If you've got something you'd like to contribute, please send an email to stitchnbitch@bust.com by November 3rd (or before) You may send photos of completed items, or sketches of items you're proposing along with a photo of a (large) swatch knit or crocheted in the manner that you'd like to do the project. YOu don't have to try and get an entire sweater done by November 3rd, so don't sweat it. If I am able to include your project, you will be paid for your pattern and provided with all the yarn you need to work up a sample for the book.

I'm looking for stuff that men will actually wear or use, so if you're female and you've got an idea, run it past a person of the male persuasion and get their input before sending it off. I want to put an end to the curse of the boyfriend sweater, with a book full of boy-tested, boy-approved projects. Male stitchers are particuarly invited to contribute!

October 17th

Old Sock Knitting Machine

I have acquired an early 20th century 'Golden Fleece' sock knitting machine. It's an English make but most, I understand, are American. It would appear to be complete but utterly baffling. Such web sites that exist about them give details of their history but not much information about how to use them.
I'd love to get it working and grind away the winter evenings turning out more socks than I could ever wear but I need to collect information about these machines to get some understanding about how to get started. If young girls in WWl managed to make comforts for the troops using these, then I ought to be able to manage it somehow...
Does anyone have any experience of these machines?

ronhuber's picture

Baby Surprise Jacket

Just finished an Elizabeth Zimmermann Baby Surprise Jacket from left over Briggs and Little wool. It was fun to do and is almost instant gratification. Still have to put buttons on it.

October 16th

MMario's picture

Purl 3 together versus SSPP

okay - I've been having problems with purl 3 together - small needles, fuzzy teensy yarn.

on the other hand I can slip 2 stitches purlwise (with yarn in front) purl one and pass slipped stitches over with barely a thought. As far as I can see they look identical when finished.

Comments?

About to begin illusion knitting

I haven't done any illusion knitting yet, and recently I've been itching to put a certain video game character around me neck, so I thought I would combine the two and make a scarf. My question is this: do I need to stretch the image I'll be working on one way or another so it looks right after being converted into shadow knitting?

October 13th

MMario's picture

images/file attachments/ Problems?

I noticed last night it took several attempt to get files attched to my posts; that may have been due to the fact I was working on a dial-up workstation. Anyone else having problems?

The other wierd thing is the new image (without a title so impossible to get to) shown as being posted by me at a time I know I didn't even attempt it.

hmmmmmm.......

October 12th

WMarksII's picture

Blocking

Ok Gang, let's hear about your favorite ways to block...all techniques...all types. Let's hear from the lace knitters and the sweater dudes.

Personally, (and yeah, I think I'm man enough to admit this in public) blocking has always been something I should do and should know how to do, but probably don't do as well or know as much as I should. Up till now, I've been one to haul out the steamer and steam the living crap out of something, stretching this way and that until I think it's right...only to find out about 40% (OK...70%) of the time I've got to redo it.

My OCD Mother (god love her) bought me a quilter's press pad, and I think I'm in love. More grid lines than you can shake what ever it is you have to shake at. And I've also recently invested in blocking wires and WOO HOO if that's not better than sliced bread.

And pairing the two together almost make for a steam powered, t-pinned, perfect edge love affair of something I really hate to do.

Come on...let's hear about what you do.

Bill's picture

Baby sweater

just finished a sweater for my 18 month old grandson.
...it's knitted with two strands of a navy twist wool and cotton blend...machine washable... the yarn was a bit over $100. !!!!
I adapted a Debbie Bliss pattern so I could do it on circular needles... using steeks for the neckline and sleeves...
the hood is added by picking up the stitches all around...
it's a really beautiful shade of navy... a bright navy twisted with a deep navy...