Archive - 2006 - Forum topic

November 17th

Free online video tutorials

Just stumbled across a really helpful set of online knitting tutorials at www.kokobino.com/shop/howTo.do The tutorials have been put together by a company called kokobino. They manufacture kits for creating kids cloths and toys. These tutorials cover the basics of knitting and I found they helped me to get started.

I've also purchased one of their mouse toys to knit for my niece and was quite impressed with the quality of their product which came in a beautiful bag, with detailed instructions and knitting needles. I hope you find the tutorials helpful.

November 16th

Tallguy's picture

Second set of DVDs from Lucy

I just received my second set of Lucy Neatby's DVDs -- these are on socks. She is well-known for her socks, and she presents many of them on the DVD. As she herself says, the DVD is not intended to be viewed from beginning to end, and it is not a class on how to knit socks. But she presents it like a resource book, with an index and you can flip through it, and watch any particular clip you need to see, from casting on, knitting toes and heels, to casting off, and all variations in between.

Lucy is a charming lady in her own right, notwithstanding the blue and pink hair, the mis-matched earrings and sandals. She wears the most amazing double-layered vests, and incredible fairisle sweaters! I've seen some of them in person, and they are as exquisite as they appear!

I took a couple of classes from Lucy about a year ago, and she is very giving and explains her procedures very simply, clearly, and with a tremendous amount of patience! She is the same in her videos as well, with a tiny spark of humour as well. The camera shoots everything right over her shoulder so you get a knitter's viewpoint of what is happening with each technique. It was so wonderful to see her handling the needles and yarns the same way I do! I like her!

November 15th

kiwiknitter's picture

Knitting Bags and Tool Kits

To celebrate my 55th on Monday, I purchased a new knitting bag. I needed a second one which was large enough to accomodate a jumper once I'd attached the sleeves and am working the upper body. I saw this and it keep calling to me to buy it. It is sort-of retro looking in green and gold. It measures 14" wide x 11" tall x 4.5" deep. It's made of a vinyl fabric which has the look and feel of a soft and supple leather. It has a zip across the top and is lined so it's waterproof.

The second picture is of my tool kit. It is a thinly quilted fabric three-fold with 5 zipped pockets. Unfolded and flat it measures 10" x 15" and fits perfectly in any knitting bag. I have handy any and all my needed tools.

I'm hoping that others will do likewise and post photos of their knitting bags and tool kits.

November 5th

Help Knit a Scarf for a Trafalgar Square London Lion for Cancer Research!!!

Good Day to You Manly Knitters!

We want you to be part of warming up a London icon for charity!

As you may or may not know Stitch and Bitch London are attempting to knit a gigantic scarf for one of the rather chilly-looking Trafalgar Square lions. The scarf will be raffled off for Cancer Research after being presented to the lion in the New Year, and one lucky winner will get a 43.5 foot scarf to wrap around their armchair/tree/house/partner.

The scarf will be presented to the lion in the New Year so you have plenty of time to knit your bit.

We would like as many people as possible to knit a piece of it. You can knit the smallest, teeny tiny part or a huge chunk, in whichever yarn you fancy using. If you wish to begin knitting your part of the giant scarf at home here are the dimensions.

The scarf will be an enormous:

10 inches (25.5cm) by 43.5 feet (13.25 metres)
Yarn: The most hideous or bizarre yarn you have.

JOIN US FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!

FOR AN ADDRESS TO SEND YOUR PART TO EMAIL US:
stitchandb.london@googlemail.com

Keep up with the beast's scarf at our website
www.stitchandbitchlondon.co.uk

Please join us and knit for the brave people fighting cancer. Pass it on to anyone you know anywhere in the world. Let's give that lion an international scarf he can be proud of! :)

November 1st

Bill's picture

Celtic cable hat pattern?

I'm looking for a Celtic cable hat pattern...(happy to pay for it)
...I've seen some that have segments with a vertical complicated cable like the enclosed pic... not necesarily a horizontal band of cable...
...does anyone have a link to a source???

October 29th

Bill's picture

Curling & Braids

speaking of knitting curling...the new Vogue Knitting magazine has a beautiful scarf on it's cover...(with instructions inside)
...because of the curling strips...I thought they were tubes, but they're six strips...started as a single section of garter stitch, then divided and knitted in individual strips ninety inches long, braided then joined again.

ronhuber's picture

saxon braid

Just finished a sweater with a saxon braid running up the front. It was knit in a worsted weight - Briggs and Little wool from New Brunswick - and seemed to fly off the needles.

October 28th

Hi!

Howdy I just joined this site. Started knitting about two weeks ago. Taking a project knitting class or two at the LYS. The people are fantastic. Finished my first scarf. Basic knit stitch. Now I am working on a second scarf in the stockinette stitch and its curling. I have about 13 inches on it so far and am thinking that I can crochet a border around it when I am finished........any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to start a big warm wool blanket and of course, a sweater and also a Jeep cover(joke)...........Thanks!

October 22nd

warm hat for MN

I'm currently working on a london beanie, but realized it wont really be all that warm for the minnesota winters i have, any suggestions for a simple warm hat?

October 20th

Gabriel's picture

Canadian humor!??!

Ok, I'm married to a canadian so I know the answer to this...however do you think that the creator of this rollers-in-the-hairh hat (found on knitty.com) was smokin a little sompin-sompin when she thought anyone might where it? Just wonderin.....it does reflect their great humor though! s