Archive - 2006 - Forum topic

January 29th

Loose last stitch

The last stitch on my knitting is always extremely loose. How can I help rectify the situation? It's extremely annoying.

January 28th

Jordan's picture

Gauge for circular knitting

Here's a link (to a forum entry on knittinghelp.com) that talks about making gauge swatches for projects knit in-the-round. 

The method described involves knitting a row, sliding the work to the other end of a circular needle, then knitting the next row from the same side (leaving a long loop of yarn across the back).  Advantage: you end up with a measurable rectangle instead of a loop. 

Has anyone tried this method?  Are there other methods to recommend?

January 26th

Darrel's picture

Cat Hair Yarn

I got a kitty and want to spin kitty hair yarn. Her coat is super soft and about an inch in length, which I've read seems to be the minimum for spinning it without needing to blend it with wool.

I found a company that will spin the yarn for you, but that's no fun. Anyone ever spun pet hair?

Twisted, humorous commentary is also encouraged! :)

Weekly Topic #7

Who do knit for the most; yourself or others?

Elad Fox's picture

My only complaint

My only complaint since the site changes is that when I come to the site (HOME) it always says PAGE NOT FOUND instead of having all the latest posts. It's been like that for a week or so. It has all the sidebar stuff such as polls and log on window.

Elad 

January 22nd

Darrel's picture

Theme Problems

I have have the new theme working on IE/Mac. If it's working on the old Mac version, I can only assume the latest PC version would render it fine.

If you don't see the user login block, scroll down to the bottom of the page.

The user login block is now located on the right. It's size was apparently breaking the theme, but this isn't an issue on the right side. All the world loves a workaround!

I've looked at the site in IE/Mac, Safari, Firefox, Camino and the whitespace/left column dropping issue is gone.

I created this new thread to report any theme problems you're experiencing with the theme. Just leave a comment with what's going on and the browser and version you're using, as well as whether you're on xp, osx, linux, etc.

January 19th

Darrel's picture

Face Lift

As you may have already noticed, the default site theme has changed. This was done both because of the comments based on the BlueMarine theme and in anticipation of an upcoming site upgrade and changes involving the way themes will be handled.

I and others like the user pictures apprearing in posts and comments as they do in BlueMarine. The new theme has those, a cleaner layout, and loads faster than previous themes.

The other themes will go away soon, but will remain available via your account preferences for a little while longer.

If you experience any issues with the new theme or miss something present in other themes, please let me know and I'll do my best to address those issues.

simple sweater dress pattern wanted

hello.

i've been knitting since this past october (my girlfriend ann bought me a "kit" for my birthday) and have only done 4 scarves in total. the sad part is that none of the scarves have been for ann. i'm now ready to thank her for introducing me to a craft that has brought me so much pleaure by making her something a bit more interesting than another scarf. it may be a bit out of my league but i'm thinking of a sweater dress. she has been scouring new and used clothing stores for one that fits her body and sense of style but has not had much luck. does anyone know of a simple pattern that won't drive a relative beginner to the crazy house? i would like it to be sleeveless and fall just above the knee - possibly a simple a-line number with an oversized sagging neckline. if anyone can help direct me to a source for such a pattern please respond.

January 18th

Gabriel's picture

Sweater HELL!!!!!!!

I'm getting ready to use one of my needles to open a vein!!! Does anybody else have issues with sweaters. I am doing my first one and it is driving me crazy. I hold it up to Allan every 5 minutes and say...Can you wear this yet? It is an irregular rib with a raglan open collar (Loop-D-Loop)  I am shaping the armholes and all I can say is, Thank God for my knit shop girls...they are saving me. I have always thought of myself as a pretty good little knitter but I am losing confidence as this sweater progresses. I will probably be purchasing future sweaters off the rack!

January 17th

ChrisN15720's picture

chunky yarn

hi guys,

i have a project in mind for chunky yarn, though i'd like to try some new fibers. where i am now doesn't have that great of a selection of chunky yarn, so i've been looking online for a few brands i havn't tried before... the only thing i don't like about it is that pictures can be deceiving. no matter how amazing the picture is, it's hard to tell what the actual fiber will be like. i was wondering if any of you had any experience (good or bad) with these yarns?

Debbie Bliss Merino Chunky

Gjestal Naturgarn No. 1

Patons UpCountry

Austermann Naturwolle