Archive - Aug 19, 2005 - Forum topic

Date
Type

Chat Box

Just wondering does anyone ever use it? Every time I look it says it's empty. Also I wonder who all the guests are each time I log on there are always a few. Do any join? Must do, that's how I joined!

Darrel's picture

Starting a Knitting Group

Barry mentioned in another post that he may give up trying to start a knitting group due a lack of response.

I think that statement is a good starting point for another discussion - How does one start a knitting group?

Like any grassroots community organizational effort, you gotta spread the word! Within a week of learning to cast-on, I started Men Who Knit. I posted ads on Craigslist and other knitting message boards, wherever I could find an audience.

On the local scale, I'd suggest contacting your local yarn stores and asking if they'd be willing to put up a flyer, place small cards on their counter, or anything of that nature to publicize your efforts.

On your marketing collateral, make sure to welcome beginners and the curious. Teaching someone to knit isn't difficult and imparting instruction only serves to build a lasting impression with those you assist, as well as serving your efforts to build a group.

If you see another knitting group advertised, contact them and see if any of them would be interested in getting together at a different time. There was a point when HMAlbert and I were hitting up 3 a week. We found that most people frequented multiple groups.

Knit in public and always have an extra ball of yarn and some needles on you. When the curious approach, ask if they've got a few minutes and offer to teach them a few things. If they don't have time, pass on your email address and suggest getting together at a later date.

Contact seemingly unrelated groups of people and pitch knitting as something that might augment their current activities. The yoga/meditation crowd is a prime example of this. Quite a few books have been written linking knitting to spiritual or mind-body practices. Target a flyer to the group you're trying to attract and cite references which appeal to them.

I'm sure others have good ideas, too... Let's hear 'em!