Archive - 2005 - Forum topic

August 16th

Men's Issues

Hi boys,
Did you know that the current issue of www.knitty.com is all guys stuff? John from The Point has a design in there.
Also the knitting magazine put out by Vogue knit:1 is publishing a men's issue in Novenmber.
Enjoy,
Martin

August 15th

Where do you Knit?

Hi guys,
I'm just wondering where you all knit? Apart from home that is!
I've been going to 2 knitting groups recently.

Sunday evening is Boyz Night @ The Point, 37a Bedford Street, NYC, NY 10014.( 212) 929 0800 (877) 60-POINT
www.thepointnyc.com Great coffee, sandwiches, muffins etc.
John is the leader & it's a nice friendly bunch of guys.

On Wednesday evenings I've been going to Booze & Yarn. This is lead by Corinna @ Bowery Poetry Club. There is another who goes but I've not met him yet! It's a cool venue. www.boozeandyarn.com

Sometimes I knit on the subway to & from work. I get a few odd looks but no comments as yet. When I flew to London for Easter I was able to knit but on the way back had to put my project in my suitcase at the check in desk. American Airlines. On my way out security at JFK checked my carry on as I had my laptop & they said nothing when my knitting came out of the bag. Bamboo needles I might add not metal.

I have to say being in New York is great as there are so many Yarn Stores & all the ones that I have been to have been very friendly & helpful.
The Point of course.

Purl in SoHo has helped on several occasions & I went there as I've knit a couple of items from Joelle's book 'Last Minute Knitted Gifts'. www.purlsoho.com They have classes.

Seaport Yarns, close to Brooklyn Bridge & City Hall is a fabulous store bursting full of yarn. www.seaportyarn.com They hold classes.

P & S Fabrics, 355 Broadway @ Franklin Street is an Alladin's cave for yarn, needles & tons of other stuff. www.psyarns.com

School Products, www.schoolproducts.com 28th Street & Broadway has a great selection of yarn, needles & patterns. They are very friendly & helpful too.

Knit NY, on 14th Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenues. www.knitnewyork.com has a great cafe & selection of yarn & needles etc & holds classes.

There are more but I've not been to them yet so it would be unfair to comment. If I made any mistakes I'm sorry in advance. I'm only human after all.

Happy knitting,
martin

July 2nd

SW Michigan

Anybody in the Kalamazoo area? I would like to start a knitting group in this area just for guys. I will be gone until July 11. I will be in So. Cakifornia on vacation.

June 30th

atravelingknitter's picture

cheap yet good yarn

Thought I would give you guys my latest tip! just got a recent shipment from www.Knitpicks.com great sock yarn also thought I would see what there peruvian wool was like at $1.79 a skein, colors are great it is a great yarn to use for felting.  I have been making felted saddle bags as gifts they are large enough to hold magazine or book wallet cell phone small knitting project and they look cool not girly. I use a bone button and icord loop as closure. however right now Knitpicks is offering no shipping if you type socks in their promtional code box.  P. S. their sock yarn is $3.75 a skien thats just over $7.00 for a skien of yarn!!!! happy knitting . Just incase your wondering I have no afliation with this company just a obbsessive knitting who likes to share.  Oh yeah should tell you if anyone ever gets to Seattle there are two shops I just discovered that are really cool.  The first is called Hilltop yarns it is in a charming craftsmen bungalow!!The other is on Bainbridge Island chruch mouse yarn and teas.  This one is a knitters wet dream great yarns teas. Needles, if you love exotic needles look out! Just a 30 minute ferry ride from downtown Seattle walking distance to the ferry dock !!!! anyway have fun

June 28th

venneman's picture

Madison Get Together

Are there enough people in the Madison, Wisconsin area to merit a get-together? I'd love to get to know other knitters in the area. Since anywhere in Southern Wisconsin is accessible, let's talk.

May 4th

venneman's picture

podcast for knitting

Okay, so I've been checking out teh whole iPodding thing, and I found a podcast for knitting. I'll post a link below. I haven't listened to one yet, but I'm curious... if anyone here downloads it and listens to it, please put up a review.

Here's the link: http://www.knitcast.com/ 

May 3rd

Need mens hat patterns....

hello!   ...help is much appreciated!!!

I'm an expert knitter who has been asked by a guy to do a commissioned hat for him.... in two colors.  There are not enough men's hat patterns out there!   I can design something if i have to, but i'd rather at least see some interesting possibilities first... all i can think of are either blah...(like taking a ski cap and doing it in stripes).... or a little silly... (like a pointed Andean hat with ear flaps, which works on some people but not on others, if you know what i mean).   Any suggestions, pleeeeeeeeeeeease????  :D

April 30th

atravelingknitter's picture

Cheep yarn!!

HI just went to the web site www.knitpicks.com great prices I bought two 50g balls of sock yarn for $7.50 that is extermly cheep if you put in the code socks the shipping is free thought you guys might want to know the 100% alpaca woo is 1.79$ (?)a ball great for felted projects. Have fun!! I know I will spend a lot here

April 15th

AussieBen's picture

I need to Get some Yard Spun. Any Idea Where?

i need to get some raw yarn spun in to knittable wool. does anyone know where i can do this in san francisco? I need a man with a wheel... or woman :) Please email me at ben@jobseeker.com

April 9th

KilgoreTrout's picture

Searching for a "Man Bag"pattern

I really want to make a bag for myself, but all the patterns I find are very "girlie" or old lady style.  Of course I love to make cute bags for my girlfriends, but does anyone know of any patterns for more, ehhh, "manly" looking bags?