Anyone Know Which Stitch This Is?

I bought a blanket awhile ago and it said it was made in a sweater stitch. I'm not sure what that is and can't find it. Here's a picture. It's as clear as I could get it. I don't know what I would use it for. It drapes...that's pretty much it's function, other than holding body heat well. It wouldn't be good as a sweater unless you wanted one that would probably keep growing as you wear it.

Does anyone know the stitch that was used? Thanks.

Image icon P1040045.jpg194.75 KB


Joe-in Wyoming's picture

My guess is that it is in seed stitch - also known as moss stitch. A simple pattern to knit, if somewhat repetitive. Each row alternates knits and purls, staggering them so you don't create 1x1 ribbing.

Books, knitting, cats, fountain pens...Life is Good.

Bill's picture

I agree...although it looks very stretched out...

CLABBERS's picture

Seed/moss stitch is it! I just knitted a swatch and it matched up perfectly. Thanks!


Tallguy's picture

Properly speaking, it is called "seed stitch". "Moss stitch" is worked with 2 rows being the same; an elongated version of the seed stitch. And then there is double seed or double moss where you work K2, P2. But it depends if your are British or American.

CLABBERS's picture

So, Tallguy, which do you think my picture is? Seed or moss or something else?

Moss/seed stitch. I have never heard of an 'elongated' version and I have been knitting for 70 years. I'll have to knit a swatch and try it.

SAPBrown's picture

OK, if I understand this...
Seed stitch =
odd rows (1k, 1p) repeated
even rows (1p, 1k) repeated
P the K's, K the P's on all rows

Moss stitch =
row 1 (1k, 1p) repeated
row 2 (1k, 1p) repeated (K the K's, P the P's)
row 3 and all odd rows (P the K's, K the P's)
row 4 and all even rows (K the K's, P the P's)

hope this helps

No, they are both the same. It is just that we English refer to it as 'moss' stitch.

SAPBrown's picture

thanks for the clarification.